Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #1

Share |

I think it is a roof leak

I have cathedral ceilings and there are dark spots running along the joists especially where the ceiling meets the wall and they are very cold. It is also 2 degrees out right now. There was very windy before Christmas and it blew my fence over. Is my roof also damaged??

zr580efi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #2

Do you have a ridge vent installed on the ridge line of the peak of that section of roof?

Are there any roof slope transitions at the nearby areas?

Are there any other roof protrusions, such as damper exhaust vents, mushroom style static air vents, or skylights any where near the area in question?

Does this wall you speak of, wind up being an intersection of where the lower roof with the cathedral/vaulted ceiling meets a wall to a higher roof elevation?

Have you had significant ice and melting snow occurring on the roof surface since the Christmas time period?

Which geograqphic location are you from and what temperature high and low extremes has your home been subjected to in the mean time?

Do you have the capability of uploading any interior and exterior photos of all areas of the roof in question?

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #3

I do not know if a ridge vent is installed

No there are no transitions

there are mushroom attic vents on one side of the roof but not the other

Does this wall you speak of, wind up being an intersection of where the lower roof with the cathedral/vaulted ceiling meets a wall to a higher roof elevation?

NO

Have you had significant ice and melting snow occurring on the roof surface since the Christmas time period?

Yes
Which geograqphic location are you from and what temperature high and low extremes has your home been subjected to in the mean time?

since the snow started 50 to -8

North West Indiana by chicago

the pictures are not that great when light hits the dark spots they disappear

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #4

I know your temperatures very well. I am from the NW suburbs, out of Carpentersville, which is close to Elgin.

It sounds like a combination of an ice damming problem and also a lack of properly done ventilation, which by not having a vaulted/cathedral ceiling vented properly, will exasperate the conditions which lead to ice dam formation and the resultant leaks associated with them.

What town? I have roofing friends that live on the far South side in that area, like around Park Forest.

Ed
Old 02-11-2008, 06:41 PM   #5

I live in Saint John. The house was built in 1991 and this is the first time I have seen the problem. We just had new siding and gutters put on last summer. I don't know if it made a difference? Is this something my homeowners insurance would cover??

Last edited by zr580efi; 02-11-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: wanted to add
Old 02-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #6

Yes, this most assuredly would be covered as an act of God, weather related ice damming damage, regarding an ice damming problem and the resultant damages caused to the interior.

Don't forget, that the insulation in the ceiling cavity inside of the rafter bays obviously have now been saturated with moisture, which means that the R-Value of the insulation has been diminished. Along with that diminished performance of the insulations effectiveness, the damp interior is now a breeding ground for mold spore growth, due to being wet and not getting proper air flowage ventilation throughout, from the soffit/eave intake ventialtion to the upper roof ridge line exhaust ventilation.

This should obviously conclude then, that the existing roof surface shingles need to be removed, the moistened plywood decking should be removed and replaced and the interior insulation inside the rafters should be removed and replaced. Prior to sealing up the rafters, you would also require that any prevalent mold or moistened sections of wood framing members should be treated with a mold inhibiting chemical, prior to closing off the area.

Insurance companies typically have an exclusion for mold remediation, but that exclusion is overridden by the causation of the mold contaminants being caused by an insurable event, such as the aforementioned ice damming scenario.

Firstly, get them to accept the fact that there is an ice damming insurable problem.

They will want you just to hire someone to alleviate the current damming problem and then hire a painter to install a primer coat on the stains on the painted surfaces and then a matching finish paint color.

Once they accept the causation of the problem as being an insurable event, then the coinciding additional work and remediation will be an inevitable conclusion to properly enforce the insurance contract regarding their obligations to you.

If they disagree at that juncture, DO NOT AGREE TO THEIR ARBITRATION PROCESS!!!

Instead, look at your HO-3 policy for the phrase which deals with when you and the insurance company agree to disagree. It will more than likely state that you have a right to an appraisal process, which is substantialy different thant the arbitration process, which utilized a judge who works directly for them for the hearings.

Do you want to know in advance what that shill judges determination would wind up being and in which parties favor???

If you get to having any problems with them accepting the full scope of repairs, or just need additional clarification about the entire process, then speak up and ask further questions when you need to know.

Ed

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 02-11-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #7

thank you
Old 02-12-2008, 05:43 AM   #8
Pro Slate Roofer

Good call Ed. My thoughts exactly.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:42 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

the coat of primer should actually be a stainkiller(typically alcohol based),and depending on your insurance/coverage ,if your roofing is outdated,chances are that they will only cover you for interior damages,and then things that happen from a single occurence,rather than things that occur over a period of time which would indicate poor maintenance,and is a typical let out for insurance co.s----or instance if plywood is frozen with water and warped from a specific instance :they may cover it`s replacement,whereas rotten wood would be evidence of a long term problem and poor maintenance

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote