Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

I have two roofs

Roofs? Rooves? Pretty sure it's the former but either way I have two of them. One on top of the other, and I need help. And I ramble so please bear with me.

So, a couple of weekends ago we had some storming and a leak in our bedroom. I cut down one mystery tile to investigate. Well, ta-da, they are styrofoam that has been painted! Anyway, I found chewed up insulation, lots of mouse droppings, and significant signs of water damage on the tile itself. So I thought, we wanted to fix this stupid ceiling anyway so I'll just tear it down. (Yes I wore gloves, mask, goggles, protective clothing, etc.) Well in that process I discovered the material making up our mystery walls! It's wood paneling with thirty layers of paint! At this point I say, you know we want to remodel but we've been flailing around about when and where to start, so screw it lets just start here. Demo begins.

Of course we realize the futility of repairing the inside without repairing the outside so I did call a roofer. He comes out, tells me it will last a bit longer if I do just this, this, and this and shows me how to do. Says that may not stop the leak though and if it doesn't I should think about a new roof. He gives me a fair, respectable price and goes on his way. The ceiling and insulation was halfway down in the bedroom at that point and I did have him come inside to look but he didn't say much about it. Also couldn't see much to be fair.

Now that the whole ceiling is down we have made a startling realization, which is one we suspected all along, there is a fairly flat roof built directly over our bedroom with a roof built about a foot over the top of that which slopes more appropriately (not sure of the run though, sorry).
I've included a ton of pictures.

#1-4 is the outside of the side of the house. Now that I am posting I realize I should have got some of the back too. I can get more if needed.
#5, those middle boards are what the tile system was stapled too. I am removing those because it was obvious they were not involved in the support system in any way.
#6-11 various spots of water damage, craziness of people cutting through boards they shouldn't have for pipes, weird connections between additions, etc
#12 just for funsies this is our awesome electrical work! (Updated electrical my butt)
#13 one of the corners full of muddobber nests, and yes you can see daylight through this corner

So I know for sure I am calling the roofer back out to see what he says. This needs to be fixed for sure, but what I'm unsure of is how much does the roofer do? We would like to do as much ourselves as possible. My husband has experience roofing but we don't have the time, so we will pay the professional. The inside however, we have all the time in the world so I can do it. But I'm not super duper comfortable if we are talking the structural integrity of the house. I feel confident enough to fix wall framing, but ceiling and roof? Maybe not. Are these things the roof guys can fix or is this a second professional involved?

I guess I don't have just one question, I need lots of general all around advice. Where to start, what's most important, or someone want to hunt down the previous owner for me and slap them around a bit? Ya know, all of the above?

Oh man, please know one chide me for buying this house, I already feel bad enough.

And GO!
Attached Thumbnails
I have two roofs-photo-1-.jpg   I have two roofs-photo-2-.jpg   I have two roofs-photo-3-.jpg   I have two roofs-photo-4-.jpg   I have two roofs-photo-5-.jpg  

I have two roofs-photo-6-.jpg  

BabsHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #2

I have two roofs

the rest of the pics
Attached Thumbnails
I have two roofs-photo-7-.jpg   I have two roofs-photo-8-.jpg   I have two roofs-photo-9-.jpg   I have two roofs-photo-10-.jpg   I have two roofs-photo-11-.jpg  

I have two roofs-photo-12-.jpg  

Old 10-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #3

I have two roofs

last one
Attached Thumbnails
I have two roofs-photo-13-.jpg  
Old 10-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #4

I have two roofs

Oh and I forgot to mention, today while I was in the bedroom I heard animal noises. In between these two layers.

Yucko barfo.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

I have two roofs

I'm just a spectator but I'm here to offer comfort. The fella's are just around the corner.

Don't feel bad about your purchase. You like the layout. You like the location. All the other stuff can be changed over time. Plus you didn't know then what you know now...me neither..thanks DIY

Nice update to your photo..hehe
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
BabsHoney (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #6

I have two roofs

My hubby saw that self-portrait and almost peed himself.

Then immediately insisted it be my profile picture on the interwebz

Thanks for the comfort, I keep telling myself, this can be fixed, this can be fixed, this can be fixed.

And really, the house was cheap.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

I have two roofs

See there you go..cheap is awesome!!

I updated my creeper eyes for Halloween
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #8

I have two roofs

I thought they were different!
I assumed it was because I'm on the computer this time instead of my phone like normal. Although I am trying to make myself look at names and not avatars. It gets confusing when people change their pictures
Old 10-31-2012, 01:41 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,014

I have two roofs

Though it may look ugly as sin, most of what you looking up at is not doing anything any more now once the newer roof was installed.

What type roofing was installed on that low slope roof?
A low sloped roof is far more prone to leaking.
Often it's better to go with a metal, EPDM, type of roof on a low slope.
Those 1X slats on the ceiling were used in an attempt to level out the ceiling.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #10

I have two roofs

I have no idea what's on the low-sloped roof because I can only see the underside of it.
The roof above it has three layers of shingles. The uppermost layer being your basic three-tab.

The 1x's were not level in any sense of the word and were used to staple the styrofoam tile system and hold up the insulation that was there.

Part of the problem with this room is it's only about 6'6" in height. It had this dropped ceiling and their is also an ancient gas floor heater that someone had the bright idea to just build a floor over. I would like to reclaim some room height if possible.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,014

I have two roofs

Someone would have to be on site to advise you on what could be cut out of the way to give you the ceiling height your looking for.
The height would have to stay the same near the outside wall but the rest of the ceiling could be made to be higher.
I just love it when people think there going to save money and less labor to do a roof over. At some point it ends up costing someone three times as much and takes three times longer to strip the roof.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
BabsHoney (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,256

I have two roofs

I agree with you, the 1X4s were there for the ceiling tile to be nailed to. From what I am seeing there isn't anyway to go up to gain headroom, You may need to check out to see if you can go down. It looks like the rafters of the newer roof are 2X4s and the old roof is there to help hold the new roof up.

I am still trying to figure out why your windows are at different heights. Is there a step down or maybe there was a step down and they built the floor up over the heater.

Stop by and vote for member of the month:
http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/vote-n...4/#post1414192

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
BabsHoney (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #13

I have two roofs

One window is in the other bedroom, one is a very tiny bathroom window (with a mirror nailed over it). The eventual plan is to have no bathroom window so that should look much better from the outside.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

I have two roofs

Super funny stuff.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 516

I have two roofs

You don't really have anything disastrous here from the look of it. Easy to tell from just one of the outside pics that the original house is the crackerbox. At one point that addition was put on. Either a back porch then enclosed or all done at once. Then later on someone decided they wanted more pitch on the roof so they just overbuilt it. Just needs a good roof on the outside and basic remodel on the inside. Consider seeing if you can remove the ceiling joists without affecting the structure and get a lil more ceiling height that way. Whatever you do, now is the ideal opportunity to make sure you include proper insulation and venting for that space to keep it comfortable.

Been working on old houses like that with remodel on top of remodel since I can ever remember so nothing you've shown is too shocking to me. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad. I'm betting house was built in late 30's, addition in 50's and overbuild in 70's

I would not put shingles back on that unless it is installed with a low slope application. If you can, since the house is so small and easy to roof, I would look at a good standing seam metal roof for the whole thing. Ideal for that place.

Last edited by OldNBroken; 11-02-2012 at 02:37 PM.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
BabsHoney (11-04-2012)