Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #1

Share |

I have a tiled roof and need to clean the moss, how do I walk on the tiles

Hi,
I have a tiled roof on my house and need to clean the tiles due to moss. I am thinking about pressure washing them. How do I walk on the tiles without breaking them? The roof was put on in 2000. They are the rounded tiles. I am not sure if they are concrete. What should I do?
anke

goch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #2

I have had guys who weighed as little as 130-140 pounds who couldn't walk on tile without breaking them.

Also, some big guys, weighing in over 250 pounds who could.

It is not really something I think I can tell you and to be quite honest, with how slippery the tile surface gets when wet, I don't think this is something you should do, using a pressure washer on them and waling on them, without even knowing how in the first place.

I am sorry if this comes off as rude, but I would rather hear about how someone else did it correctly and not about you falling off and breaking your back.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #3

Ed the Roofer, it seems like I've heard about a cleaner you put in a hose-end sprayer and spray it up onto a roof while you're standing on the ground. It's suppose to take the moss off. Do you know if there is such a thing and if so, does it work?
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #4

I have "Read" about a lot of supposed quality cleaners, but what would prevent a over proportioning of the chemicals from settling on the porous portions of a tile product creating a dulling to the finis.

Bleach, diluted to a 10% solution with 90% water is "Supposed To" be one recipe, but I would do test swatch sample cleanings in an inconspicuous area first, in the event that it bleaches the color out of the roof tiles.

There is a contractor that had previously posted on this forum, by the name, (I Think), of Apple Roof Cleaning, who was out of Florida, if I recollect properly.

I think he had some posts with pictures located in the photo section of the Roofing Sub-Forum over on www.ContractorTalk.com

I do know for a fact, that wherever he posted at, he did have links to his company website.

He may have had some products available for the handy DIY'er to purchase.

I do not know of him personally, but just from viewing his roof cleaning photos.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #5

Have you ever listened to the Gary Sullivan radio show? I catch it once in a while on Saturday or Sunday mornings on AM radio stations. It's a DIY type talk show where people call in asking for his advice. He advertises a product that is meant for cleaning a roof. I don't remember the name of it, but you can find it on his website. www.garysullivanonline.com

I googled 'cleaning roof tiles diy' and found this, it's a post on this forum by the guy you mentioned from Apple Roof Cleaning.

Slate Tile Roof Cleaning Tampa Florida - Slate Roof Cleaning Using Lift.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote