Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #1

Share |

Hurricane season roofing advice?

A roofer gave us an estimate today on replacing the roof but suggested waiting until after hurricane season. He said the new roof is weak just after it's installed. Is this true?

gorleyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:35 PM   #2

Not necessarily weak, per se' but, if the temperatures have not had an opportunity to activate the sealant between the successive courses of shingles, they may be more susceptible to wind damage.

Good advice, if a hurricane is on its way, which may loosen the newly installed shingles before they have sealed.

Bad advice, if your roof is in such a state of disrepair and potential leakage, that any additional delay would cause interior damage, especially from a non-insurable storm damage claim, or with one which has an extremely high deductible.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:41 PM   #3

Henrys 208 wet or dry in a tube. Seal all the edges of your comp shingles. Henrys takes a while to dry but it acts like glue. I used it on my mobile home that way because it would leak when it had a snow load. It might also help against wind lift. Didn't take too long.
Longtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:50 AM   #4

More than a minimal dab of roofing cement on each tab of each shingle would void the manufacturers recommended installation procedures.

It may work, but why take chances with a new roof right before your anticipated hurricane season, unless you are currently taking in water.

I wonder if "Dorothys" house was actually a mobile home. Hmmm! After all, when it landed on the Wicked Witch, it wasn't in Kansas anymore. But, I do not recall seeing the shingles get blown off of the roof.

Ed
Old 06-05-2007, 06:46 AM   #5

Thanks for your assistance!
gorleyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
I wonder if "Dorothys" house was actually a mobile home. Hmmm! After all, when it landed on the Wicked Witch, it wasn't in Kansas anymore.

Ed
Just a suggestion. I do things differently on a 1 in 12 pitch. You make it sound like mobile home is a dirty word. Besides, that was a tornado, not a hurricane.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #7

Longtooth,

On a 1/12 pitch, there should not be shingles. The absolute minimim from most manufacturers specs are a 2 1/2/12 or a 3/12, and that is really pushing it.

Don't take offence about the Wizard of Oz sidebar comment. After several thousand replies, if I didn't interject some slight humor, or intended humor, into some of the responses, this would be quite dry and boring. A little bit of someones personality has to come through sometime.

When I deal with a significantly serious issue, I provide great detail and depth, with no horsing around, but this question is just, "Should I do my roof before or after the hurricane", so I hope I am allowed a little flexibility.

Plus, both tornadoes and hurricanes get rated by the Fujita scale, for sustained wind velocity, I believe? The rationale for that remark directly pertained to a fictional tornado and the wind damage it created.

Smile.

Ed
Old 06-05-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorleyv View Post
A roofer gave us an estimate today on replacing the roof but suggested waiting until after hurricane season. He said the new roof is weak just after it's installed. Is this true?
A few days of hot sun is all it takes to seal a new shingle roof. That should be no problem to achieve if you live in a "hurricane prone" area. If the roofing is bad enough to need replacement, there is your "weak" roof. But if he really wants you to wait, see how much he is willing to chip in for your interior repairs from rain damage .
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Longtooth,

On a 1/12 pitch, there should not be shingles. The absolute minimim from most manufacturers specs are a 2 1/2/12 or a 3/12, and that is really pushing it.

Don't take offence about the Wizard of Oz sidebar comment. After several thousand replies, if I didn't interject some slight humor, or intended humor, into some of the responses, this would be quite dry and boring. A little bit of someones personality has to come through sometime.

When I deal with a significantly serious issue, I provide great detail and depth, with no horsing around, but this question is just, "Should I do my roof before or after the hurricane", so I hope I am allowed a little flexibility.

Plus, both tornadoes and hurricanes get rated by the Fujita scale, for sustained wind velocity, I believe? The rationale for that remark directly pertained to a fictional tornado and the wind damage it created.

Smile.

Ed
That is good info. Thank you Ed, my MH has comp shingles, yes they leak, but it's a fixer, as is. I knew that going in.