Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2009, 12:01 PM   #1

Share |

HUGE Icicle problem & Heat Loss

I've had major problems with heat loss on this 1950s bungalow. As you can see from the attached pictures, it is all over the roof. I just refinished the upstairs, putting some R30 insulation along the roof and R15 along the walls. unfortunately, I didn't think about insulating the heat vents that run in the eves, under the 2nd floor windows (see pics).

On the back of the house, the underside of the roof is still accessible, as it isn't finished.

I need major help in the best approach to solving this head loss.
Attached Thumbnails
HUGE Icicle problem & Heat Loss-dsc03699.jpg   HUGE Icicle problem & Heat Loss-dsc03702.jpg  

zaibas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:53 PM   #2

Try this website www.buildingscience.com to understand what's going on in there

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:53 PM   #3

Sorry ,review ice dams on that site
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #4

Question

I'm experiencing similar problems. I just added R-30 over the existing (albeit old and compressed) insulation. I'm wondering if I should further install rigid foam to the roof rafters. There would still be adequate ventilation from the soffit to the ridge vent, and I'm thinking rigid insulation would enhance the R-30 that I just put down. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks!
Retired Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
Electric Radiant Heating

The truth is that there are just going to be winters, like this one, that product ice dams more severely than others. We have installed many ice melting systems in gutters and on/under roofs that were designed to be 'cold roofs' yet still have ice damming. The heat from your home will escape no matter how much you insulate it. It will radiate through the walls, windows, ceilngs and roofs. No matter how much you insulate, it will, eventually, make it's way out and will melt the snow on your roof (along with the sun), the water will run down to a point where it is no longer warmed from escaping heat and refreeze. That is usually at the drip edge or in valley's. Then it just depends on the winter and how many times this is allowed to occur whether-or-not it's going to be able to build up far enough to get under the ice/water shield (if you have any at all) and cause damage.

You can throw 12 more inches of insulation on top of the 12 you and have.. heat will still seek the cold.

P.S. I am in no way saying not to insulate. By all means, insulate your heart out. I did. It helps to keep the heat in as long as possible to make the most use of it. But it will have little effect on the melting snow during winters like this one.

Last edited by warmsmeallup; 02-01-2009 at 12:11 PM.
warmsmeallup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #6

I have an R38 sunroom roof that faces south, properly vented
Gutters have been frozen pretty much for the past month due to snow storms. Snow fell without wind & covered the roof. Just enough sun every day to melt the stuff in the gutters & refreeze.
No leaks inside, I used ice shield all the way up the roof - well worth the added cost

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote