Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,248

how would/should they do this ?

i am thinking about, in the next several years, have my roof replaced. i am talking the WHOLE roof. rafters, gutters, everything.

i am wondering how they would take it down. its 2x4 rafters that are sagging and not in great shape.

if i have the money, i am thinking about $15000, i will have it done.

and should i expect damage to the ceiling/anything else when this is done ?

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,110

Piece by piece.
Going to have to rent a big dumpster, remove the shingles, remove the sheathing, set up a diaginal to support the end walls, chainsaw the rafters and ridge board out.

Better have all your ducks in a row on this one. One rain storm and your going to have a very bad day.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

Either you live in a really small house or you are in for a rude awakening when its estimate time.

If your house is more than 20 square walkable or less with pitch then your figures are quite a bit off.

$15,000 for a complete roof structure replacement with components is not happening.

The last one I did was 28 square.Replaced the 2"x4"'s with 2"x6"'s and added 5/8" plywood just under $41,300.00.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 11-01-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,030

Have also seen a roof built over the roof, that way no removal time or being open to the weather.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #5

i wouldn't be doing this myself. just way too much work, for the short time needed to get it done.

$41g is CRAZY ! my insurance said it would be $160000 to replace the WHOLE house. and the roof is only about 10% of a whole house.

idk how many square it is. basicly 40' x30'. and, since it would be new, i could make it any pitch i wanted, within reason.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
RFN-4A-LVN

Yes $41g is quite a bit of coin but.,The demo and the interior damage prevention and disposal as well as materials,man power,permits,insurance and not to mention leaving your landscaping how we found it isn't cheap.

I can guaranty i could remove your entire roof structure and put it back,gutters and all other exterior components without even leaving a rut or one slightest bit of damage.

You could probably have it done for $15,000.00 but you might end up with $20,000-$30,000 worth of added property issues.

Its amazing how small of a percentage insurance companies put on the roof structure when in reality it covers 100% of the interior.

Just because the home is worth X amount does not mean that repairs such as roof structure replacement will be 10% of X.Insurance companies are all about saving money on misinformation.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 11-03-2012 at 09:56 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (11-03-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #7

ok. lets say i was not worried about landscape damage, could do a lot of the cleanup, made it easier for the guys to do their work, etc. would that help lower the cost ?
Old 11-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
RFN-4A-LVN

Possibly.But everytime I have had customer involvement in projects they have hindered the project making it take longer.

You might be different so it might work for you.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

40x30 is 1200 sq ft. I assume that's the footprint measurement of the house, meaning the roof, depending on pitch can be anywhere from 1500-1800 square feet.

You will need to at least double the amount you're thinking you'll spend for the amount of work you want done.
ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ParagonEx For This Useful Post:
Roofmaster417 (11-03-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,318

You need to post pics.......

Something to consider.....tear off the shingles and then tear off the sheathing....I'm thinking that maybe it's 1x6's? That would expose your frame.....assuming that you don't want to change the overall outline....you could just sister new wood to the old....or replace one rafter at a time.

Still a lot of work....and considering where you live....you have rain and wind to deal with...finding a window to get the work done would pretty much rule out DIY.....if you want to keep the house dry.....

To give you an idea....I'm doing a 2-story addition to my house....adding 1000 sq'....I poured concrete in July and am only now about ready to put on shingles......that was July of LAST year.....you can see pics in the link in my signature.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,030

Never done a cmpletetear off.
Build a roof over the roof. Easy if it is a straight gable.

Or remove shingles and plywood and sister new rafters beside the old. Again easy if a straight gable.
A lot depends on the type of roof you have and the number of valleys, 2 story or 1 story house, how hard is it to get to.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,110

I would never allow a homeowner to "help out" on a job like that. I know my insurance company would frown on it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
RFN-4A-LVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I would never allow a homeowner to "help out" on a job like that. I know my insurance company would frown on it.
I would hope he wasn't wanting to help.,hahahaha I assumed he meant like.,put the debris over here and I will haul it off.But most times over here at some point gets in my way.

I respect his motivation but sometimes people don't know how big of a mountain is made with all the debris within a complete roof structure.

The mountain would be no K2 but I would almost pay to see the look on someone's face unfamiliar with construction pull up on site and see the "mountain" they volunteered to move.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #14

am with the dawg on this one.
Remove the shingles and down to bare wood.
Remove the bad wood and then look at the bones of the existing trusses.
I would at all cost try to sister new wood to them and repair. Your drywall ceiling is attached to the trusses in most case, you are talking complete drywall refinish inside besides the roof.

If you wanted to add a second story, by all means tear off the roof.
If you just want a solid roof, good chance once you get it down to bare sheathing, then remove the bad sheathing, will not be as much damage as you think, simply repair and rebuild.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 25

15K? Sounds possible to me - price out the material and see what that leaves for labor. Be the GM and divide the job up into tearoff, structure build, & roofing. Tearoff is high labor but low skill - this may be the best portion for owner participation but dont underestimate the amount of effort required. Wanna know a secret? Plenty of very experienced roofers hate working with rafters - they avoid structural work whenever possible and when they have to do it - it may not be done right. Some roofers are willing and qualified to do structural - you dont any suprises here. Another, perhaps better, option is to hire a carpenter for the structure build and leave only the shingling to the roofer. If there was a way to tarp up/ waterproof the building after the tearoff, you would gain alot of extra time to coordinate it all.

Hates my roof is offline   Reply With Quote