DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How to temp patch garage roof leak?

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Leah Frances 
#1 ·
My detached garage roof is leaking. Ceiling stains indicate that the former homeowner ignored this for some time. I need to learn how to temporarily patch the roof to stop the water intrusion until the spring when I can tear the whole mess off and start fixing some of the BIG problems.

Here are some pics:

Could this be what is causing the internal leaking? Do I just hammer the nails in?

What about this broken board inside the attic? It doesn't seem to show water damage around or under it.

I'm nervous about walking around on the roof because of things like this.

The carpenter bees I had exterminated last summer were clearly there for more than one year.
There does seem to be water damage associated with this insect damage.

I ranted about this before x-mas, now I need to do something to stop things from getting worse. Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
I didn't see any pics of the garage i think although someone has definitely tried to hammer through on the broken 1x8.

Anyway, yes you have a big project coming as a homeowner that has rotted rafter tails, 1x8 etc.

If this is near a wall i would suggest you hire a competent roofer as when you try to repair, you may have a waterfall coming in. Just my 2 cents

#3 ·
those nails are from what we call the valley area,and they are too close,you can try knocking them down,and sealing the nails,then clear the leaf debris from the edge of the overlapping shingles,and heavily tar that edge/line where you see the cut shingle edges-That may buy you some time,but it`s a band -aid,You need a professional to fix it right

#4 ·
Thanks - as soon as the weather warms up above freezing I am going to deal with the nails, clean things up, and tar over the lot. Hopefully, it will hold us to spring.

Then we have to decide if it is worth it to rebuild the joists or if we should tear down and start fresh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.