DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Roofing/Siding (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/)
-   -   This is a how to site, not a why I hate this product site (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/how-site-not-why-i-hate-product-site-37103/)

Nathan 01-29-2009 01:02 AM

This is a how to site, not a why I hate this product site
 
I just wanted to post a quick reminder here. This is a "how to do it yourself" site and not a "why I hate this product" site. If you have a question about a product or need help with it please post about it. If your here just to make some sort of public statement about a product or company then this is not the place for you.


Thanks.

the roofing god 01-29-2009 03:13 AM

Doesn`t take a psychic to guess which topic you`re referring to,I was thinking the same thing

DangerMouse 01-29-2009 05:38 AM

konecto flooring? behr paints? the good, the bad and the just plain don't buy it!??
i see your point Nathan, however, it seems some of those threads have the highest numbers of readers and also draw in new members....
oh wait, that's how you guys got stuck with me....
perhaps another new section on 'product awareness' or something would be better than banning the negatives?

DM

Scuba_Dave 01-29-2009 09:10 AM

Isn't that part of a DIY site?
"I used this product & had this problem"
Now maybe its because the DIY didn't do a proper install
But when I go to a car site I want to know what cars have problems

I guess it's different if you have people coming on to try to sell something or bash the competitor

I know when I'm looking for something I read up on what other people did. I might have Toto toilets if I found this site a few years ago

Nathan 01-29-2009 09:58 AM

OK, I wrote this late last night and I think I need to clarify what I'm talking about here. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave (Post 221254)
Isn't that part of a DIY site?
"I used this product & had this problem"

Yes, and I have no problem with a member of this site telling us what he thinks about a product both Good and Bad. In fact, on some of our sites (like www.WoodworkingTalk.com) we even have a special forum for product reviews. The problem is not established members who tell us what they think about a product, it's a few people who have joined this site and seem to want to do nothing but bash a product or company.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave (Post 221254)
I guess it's different if you have people coming on to try to sell something or bash the competitor

Yup, this is what I'm talking about. For example, I can look at one thread (and there are a few like this) and see someone with over 40 posts. When I look at their posting history every single post they have made has been a negative comment about one particular product. Do we even know if they own the product or installed it right? It's hard to tell and I'm not sure it's fair to the company to allow this to take place.

This is kind of a gray area I know but this is my thinking. Let me know if this doesn't make sense because I'm thinking it through as I type.
  • If you're a new member and join the site to do nothing but bash a company or product you have no place here.
  • If you're a new member and come here because your having problems with a product and need help fixing it post about it and let's see if we can help.
  • If your an established member (with some posting history) and you want to give a product review then by all means do so. But give your review and comments about the product and move on. Don't make this site your personal soap box.
People get pissed when they feel they have been wronged and sometimes they go to far. If you need help fixing a problem that's really what this site is about. Your sole purpose for joining this site should not be to tell everyone why you hate a product.

Thoughts?

DangerMouse 01-29-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 221269)
it's a few people who have joined this site and seem to want to do nothing but bash a product or company.

not to mention the users who join only to DEFEND their products, good OR bad. however, some of the reps have been truly courteous and helpful to your readers, though some have been real ****....well, you know....

to me, this site is almost like a school, and i'm truly grateful to you, Nathan, for not charging tuition! Po)
i'm here almost daily, reading past posts and learning what i need to finish this home, and asking when i get stuck.
but if you start handing out detentions, i'm outta here!
-=chuckle=-

DM

Leah Frances 01-29-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 221160)
If you have a question about a product or need help with it please post about it... Thanks.

Thanks for the discretion, Nathan. :thumbup:

Nathan 01-29-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerMouse (Post 221276)
not to mention the users who join only to DEFEND their products, good OR bad. however, some of the reps have been truly courteous and helpful to your readers, though some have been real ****....well, you know....

I don't allow companies to come on this site and self promote but I do believe that companies have the right to respond to claims about their products. I think it's only fair. The problem is when it turns into a never ending cycle. The pissed off customer posts, the company responds, the customer responds... and around we go. Somehow we need to let people make a comment, let a company respond and then either agree to disagree or let the company help fix the problem.

DangerMouse 01-29-2009 11:14 AM

:yes:

Scuba_Dave 01-29-2009 11:15 AM

That makes sense
I've seen similar on other sites where people sign up to promote products. Many of the sites do not allow it. And it does skew peoples perceptions if they see all these posts about how great or how bad something is
I have a problem with a product my 1st thought is did I install it correctly, so then I go read the directions :wink: :laughing:

I do see threads where it seems to go back & forth
Not really productive for anyone
Thanks for the clarification & modification :thumbsup:
or is that Adminification ?

the roofing god 01-30-2009 01:12 AM

Very well put,Nathan

silence xu 05-02-2009 04:38 PM

Administrator NATHAN, i'll always behind you. as an chinese stone supplier .

Michael Thomas 12-31-2009 12:51 PM

Negative comments are sometimes useful, for example I'm interested in why the poster of the thread (I assume) we are referencing has had such a different experience than my own with a similar product, and when I look at the pictures he has posted I think I know why, so his comments were useful to me.

How to draw the line? In the end IMO that's up to each site's administrator - its their sandbox.

PTP WX 11-01-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 221285)
The problem is when it turns into a never ending cycle. The pissed off customer posts, the company responds, the customer responds... and around we go.

If someone has nothing but posts about a certain product, good or bad, maybe you can change their username to XXXXXXXX hates Product Y or XXXXXXXX loves Product Y.

Maybe you can break off the fight to a little corner of the sandbox that turns up in searches but doesn't bog down the forum?

Maybe some of the company reps in here defending products are also learning areas where they can help make PRODUCT X better helping us all.

I think overly negative comments should be deleted when they come in bulk, I can think of a ton of garbage products I have had.... from paint brushes all the way up to cars, but dwelling on ONE product and constantly bashing ONE product would make me think the person is in competition and trying to smear said product.

bethmac1221 02-07-2011 11:28 AM

I know I'm a newbie but I just wanted to say thanks for even having this type of forum. It helps to find out information from professionals so I can have an educated conversation with my construction company.

I love learning about the details of how to do things so I can either attempt the task myself or at least feel like I know what I am talking about and getting a quality job done.
Thanks


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved