Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2008, 12:00 PM   #1

Share |

how SHOULD this be done?

i've posted before about a leaky ridge vent in a low-slope roof, and although it seems like removing the vent altogether is the solution, we just don't have the money to do so right now. so i'm trying to mitigate this somehow.

so our roof is very simple, one gable (and, as i mentioned, low-sloping). as far as i can tell, we have a large (2 x 14?) ridge beam, with rafters extending down to very wide, low eaves. the eaves have (nearly) continuous soffit vents.

the majority of our house has cathedral ceilings. however, about a 3 x 20 foot section, right down the center, toward the back of the house, has a drop ceiling over a hallway and some closets. this area is not accessible from inside the house, but if it were, i think you could probably barely crawl through it -- it's maybe 2-3 feet tall at the center.

the ridge vent extends nearly the length of the roof ridge -- over both the cathedral ceiling section and the drop ceiling section. in the drop ceiling section, we can see some water staining and can hear dripping when it rains. in the cathedral ceiling section, we don't see any evidence of water, but i guess since it is sloped, any water entering would probably run downwards, anyway -- whereas in the flat ceiling, it is getting caught there.

i think i've done everything i can on the outside to prevent water from getting in (aside from removing the ridge vent, of course): sealing up the ends, sealing all of the seams, nail holes, etc.

so now i want to see if i can keep the water from sitting on/staining our ceiling.

i think i can get into the "attic" space through a vent in the eaves -- might be too small for me to get into, but i can at least stick my head into it.

so my question is: what SHOULD i see when i look in there? in other words, what is the standard method of installing the insulation and/or vapor barrier up there?

i've attached two (very rough) drawings of long and cross sections through this "attic" area. you'll notice i didn't include any insulation, because i'm not sure where it should go and/or what types should be in a space like this. the water is showing up in one or two spots -- probably just low spots in the ceiling surface, i would imagine, but should i look for something else?

is there anything i can do (a) if i see where the water is coming from, or (b) to divert or somehow else deal with this water?
Attached Thumbnails
how SHOULD this be done?-roof_cross.jpg   how SHOULD this be done?-roof_long.jpg  

downers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:18 PM   #2

how SHOULD this be done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by downers View Post

i've posted before about a leaky ridge vent in a low-slope roof, and although it seems like removing the vent altogether is the solution, we just don't have the money to do so right now. so i'm trying to mitigate this somehow.
I looked back at the other thread and unless you are so destitute, there is not much cost involved in removing the existing ridge vent and filling in the slot and then covering the newly opened area with new ridge cap shingles.

If you are financially bad off right now, I am not attempting to poke fun at your situation, but more so, just trying to show you that one of the previously suggested options would cost less than $ 100.00 and would be something that a moderately handy person could take on by themselves.

If that is the case, that you can not afford the less than $ 100.00 in material costs, please feel free to contact me with the PM feature or my e-mail in my user profile and I will arrange to send someonew out to do the removal for you.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:34 PM   #3

how SHOULD this be done?

well, i guess i was assuming that if we removed the ridge vent altogether, we'd have to do more than just throwing some blocking and shingles over the hole, especially with a low-slope roof. am i wrong? it's just that a lot of things the previous owners did to this house seem to have been done on the cheap, and that's why we're having problems (this is a more minor one, actually) now.

and i would still be concerned about ventilation up there -- we have soffit vents and an gable vent (which i suppose could have a fan installed), but the gable vent is only in the back, since the cathedral ceiling runs to the front of the house.

we're pretty new homeowners and the thought of spending a few hundred now... and then a few hundred in 3 months... and then a few hundred next year... on the same problem doesn't seem appetizing. but then again, it doesn't seem likely this is a one-solution problem... just looking for advice from others who've seen similar scenarios.

i'll certainly take yours under consideration.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:18 PM   #4

how SHOULD this be done?

I may have missed and forgotten exactly what pitch your roof was, if in fact you did know that information.

If it is at least a 2 1/2" per 12" pitch, then a ridge vent with precautions can be installed.

If it less than a 2 1/2" pr 12" pitch, then there should not be a ridge vent installed.

Without going out to the local Sears or Home Depot and buying a Pitch Guage, would you know how to determine the pitch, aka, slope of your roof?

Here is a simple method:
Take a regular level that is longer than one foot long. Borrow one for 10 minutes from a neighbor if you have to.

Measure 12" from one end and make a soft pencil mark on the level on the side which will be the top side when guaging the slope.

Standing carefully on a ladder, extend the level from the bottom of the fascia board, stopping at the 12" mark and hold it level till the bubble is in the center.

Now, measure the distance from the top of the level to the fascia board that is rising up the slope of the gable edge of the structure.

That will tell you the exact pitch of the structure. Do not be worried if your tape measure is off by a few increments. For this purpose, exact does not matter, just trying to get close.

Wait until todays storms pass through also.

ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:43 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

how SHOULD this be done?

as you have continuous soffit venting,close the ridge vent,and install a solar powered power ventilator(mushroom style) w/thermostat control,large enough to handle the attic space,usually a master flow(gaf approved) pro-2 is enough,if not use a pro -3,

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #6

how SHOULD this be done?

it is right at 2:12