Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #1

Share |

How to sheet and shingle a shed roof

I built a 6x15 foot firewood storage shed and would like info on how to sheet and shingle it. It has 2x6 rafters 16 inches on center and I dont know anything about roofing.

What type of sheeting and nails or screws would I need and how to space the above.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Shipper
Attached Thumbnails
How to sheet and shingle a shed roof-hert-lane-089_600_450.jpg  
shipper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #2

This will probably be where I open my mouth and you can tell I don't know what I'm talking about, but anyway, I'm not sure you have enough support structure to be placing too much weight on the top, maybe consider using a tarp.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #3

I want to clarify my above comments, rather then editing. I don't have the knowledge to know for sure, but the stated wood shed doesn't appear strong enough to hold the weight of a roof, hense my comment about using a tarp, rereading my comment, it didn't seem right to me. I certainly meant no offence.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #4

1/2" cdx 4-ply plywood as a minimum, fastened with 8 penny nails every 6" On Center on the 4 foot end sides through the rafters and every 12" On Center on and through all of the intermediate rafters.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE! View Post
I want to clarify my above comments, rather then editing. I don't have the knowledge to know for sure, but the stated wood shed doesn't appear strong enough to hold the weight of a roof, hense my comment about using a tarp, rereading my comment, it didn't seem right to me. I certainly meant no offence.
Your right,you wouldn't catch me up there
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
Your right,you wouldn't catch me up there
Do you mind telling me why you wouldnt go there?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #7
registered

its ok its sitting on cement pillings. So what there 16 inchs on center. I would climb up there. But i weigh 190. Do like ed said 1/2 cdx plywood making sure you stagger. Its not rocket science just lay the plywood out nail it down like ed said above. Go straight across starting at top working down to bottom. Making sure you stagger second row so the seams don't line up.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:15 AM   #8

Also, along the rake edges of the structure, prior to installing any plywood, you need to build a ladder for your soffit overhangs.

Thats what I call it, but there might be a more professional term. That is the installation of short 2"x 6"s protruding out sideways, so that the final rafter and fascia can be attached.

If you install your plywood on now, your overhang to get past the exterior wall will have no support.

Ed
Old 11-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
1/2" cdx 4-ply plywood as a minimum, fastened with 8 penny nails every 6" On Center on the 4 foot end sides through the rafters and every 12" On Center on and through all of the intermediate rafters.

Ed
Use 1/2 osb to keep cost in line and use Ice & water shield on entire surface, instead of felt paper, & shingle. Slope looks to be minimal. for a wood storage shed it looks just fine.
butlersprints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by butlersprints View Post
Use 1/2 osb to keep cost in line and use Ice & water shield on entire surface, instead of felt paper, & shingle. Slope looks to be minimal. for a wood storage shed it looks just fine.
Why lessen the quality for a minimal savings of $3.00 to $6.00 per sheet, just to use an inferior quality product, yet go ahead and use Ice and Water Shield on the structure? That stuff runs around $100.00 or more per roll, for the good stuff manufactured by Grace and about only covers 2 squares of decking surface per roll.

The Ice and Water Shield's primary benefit is to prevent leaks from Ice Dams and this being just a shed building and not heated, there should never be any Ice Dam occurrences.

Ed
Old 11-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Why lessen the quality for a minimal savings of $3.00 to $6.00 per sheet, just to use an inferior quality product, yet go ahead and use Ice and Water Shield on the structure? That stuff runs around $100.00 or more per roll, for the good stuff manufactured by Grace and about only covers 2 squares of decking surface per roll.

The Ice and Water Shield's primary benefit is to prevent leaks from Ice Dams and this being just a shed building and not heated, there should never be any Ice Dam occurrences.

Ed
being a low pitch roof and snow in Indiana, I would Ice guard it , it's not that big for the expense, and why spend more for the sheeting than you need too? how often would anyone be on this structure?JMO. In Michigan, no one has used anything but osb for years, It's always covered by roofing, siding or carpet ect..

Last edited by butlersprints; 11-28-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #12

I once experienced a blizzard in Indiana! Had a foot of snow over-night!

With this in mind, I doubt that the beam is adequate for the snow load.

In my area, not far removed from Indiana, my shed roof required three, 2X10's over a 10' span,to make a suitable beam.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
I once experienced a blizzard in Indiana! Had a foot of snow over-night!

With this in mind, I doubt that the beam is adequate for the snow load.

In my area, not far removed from Indiana, my shed roof required three, 2X10's over a 10' span,to make a suitable beam.
I am not doubting your experiencing a blizzard in Indiana, but I have lived in Indiana for over lets say 50 years and have never seen 12 inches snow in one night.

My roof has 12 2x6's over a 16ft span and will have a 3/4 inch roof as of tomorrow afternoon. Its only a firewood shed, not the HILTON.

Shipper
Old 11-28-2008, 08:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipper50 View Post
I am not doubting your experiencing a blizzard in Indiana, but I have lived in Indiana for over lets say 50 years and have never seen 12 inches snow in one night.

My roof has 12 2x6's over a 16ft span and will have a 3/4 inch roof as of tomorrow afternoon. Its only a firewood shed, not the HILTON.

Shipper
3/4 is overkill, save your money, 1/2 osb is all you need .
Old 11-28-2008, 09:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by butlersprints View Post
3/4 is overkill, save your money, 1/2 osb is all you need .
When I first bought the osb from Menards the guy wrote up 1/2, but the kid who helped me put 3/4 on the cart and thats what I got for the price of 1/2. Dont tell anyone.

Shipper