Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 2
Share |

How to screw in a gutter

I learned alot my first day hanging gutters. First I measured the center of the gutter and the center of where it is going to mount. I snapped a line with a level and chalk line. Installed end caps and the hidden hangers. Went up the ladder holding the gutter in the exact middle and screwed it too the fascia board. Okay, this is where the problem now starts. I tried screwing from the center up stream. From center up stream was okay all the way until the last hanger. From center to the down stream part was bad. At first I thought the string must of bent. (ha Ha) then I realized the gutter would not bend down to the line, or if it did, the back of the gutter would bow in toward the front of the gutter. I tried screwing the back of the gutter down, but the gap would just move. Now I am wondering, what is the screw pattern? I am planning on middle gutter screw first, one screw up stream end, one screw downstream end. Come back and remove the center screw. I now have a 26 foot gutter hanging by both ends only? I will then go back up stream and run the hangers in one by one all the way until the end? Help me please

mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 6

How to screw in a gutter

On the assumption the house and fascia is level, I place the center as high as I want it, at/near/above the fascia according to the particulars of the house.
I then set the ends an inch or so lower and attach 'lightly'. Then, I go to the center between the end and true center and adjust the sag so the back is tight against the fascia and the back is at a midpoint between the heights of the center and end. Screw it all in keeping an eye on maintaining th eplanned fall and no buckles. Re-adjust the ends if necessary.

Some like them level, but a sloped one is more likely to wash debris out than a level one.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 2

How to screw in a gutter

Gutters seem like this mysteries art form I have never thought about. I can not wait too hang some more gutter so that I can learn from the mistakes. It will be easy too spot the ones I hung early in my career as I go back to clean them. One thing I learned today, when re-hanging a gutter, the hidden hanger screw will try and walk into the old hole. Another thing I learn is that following the roof line the gutter has a perfect pitch, then from the ground it looks a little off compared to the fascia board.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote