Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #1

Share |

How to repair my roof truss - web pieces

[I have two similar posts - but they aren't duplicates. This post is about the web pieces, the other is about a bottom chord. They seem like separate topics to me.]

We're about to blow in cellulose before winter turns nasty, completing a several month long attic project (air sealing, replacing electrical). I've seen a few pieces of wood that look like they need reinforcement.

It's a 1000sqft ranch, with a Fink truss gable roof. The webs that go from the bottom chord to the top chord at the peak of the roof are 1x6's. The webs that go from the bottom chord to the middle of the top chord are 2x4's.

Question 1 - Do I need to fix the issues in the pictures below? Or, if you saw them, would you leave them be? I think all of them need attention, except the small split by a nail on the 2x4.

Question 2 - If I need to fix the issues, how do I do it? I've been reading today, and have gotten the impression that a good way to go would be cutting 1x6 plywood strips, and screwing them to both sides of the existing 1x6's. I'd cut them to be almost the same length as the web that I was reinforcing. I've been getting the impression that reinforcements need to be a lot longer than you'd think at first. I've also been getting the impression that plywood is better to use than other types of wood.

In case it helps, here are some overall pictures of my truss system:

darlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Much or what you see is pretty commonplace. If you want to reinforce these areas, a piece of similar lumber or plywood would do the trick.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #3

+1 on WOW
Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Learn to stop worrying so much and live life.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote