Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #1

Share |

How to repair hole in Standing Seam Metal Roof

Hi,

I have an outbuilding that has a standing seam metal roof. During a recent storm tree limbs fell on it and one of them punctured the roof. It's a small hole 3" in diameter and I wonder what is the best way to fix it?

Should I replace them entire length of the channel, or just get some self-adhesive peel-and-stick aluminum and slap it on? Or something else? What's the recommended fix for longevity?

Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

DaveMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #2

fix any holes in the underlayment then replace it

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

I don't think I could explain it all. Here's a link to a recent one I just did. It might show enough detail so you'll be be able to understand how to unlock the seams and fit in a new panel. http://www.albertsroofing.com/Tin%20...to_gallery.htm

Don't worry about the underlay if any is there.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #4

Interesting question you posted. Concerning whether to patch or totally replace, consider how you want the building to look long-term. Obviously, a patch is not going to look as nice. Standing seam should have no nails showing and it is expensive to replace. Standing seam requires special tools & equipment and around here, they cannot be rented.

Your idea of using self-adhesive aluminum should work although it may have to be replaced every few years. You may also consider using a sheet metal patch anchored in place with screws or rivets. A generous quantity of silicone or other high quality caulk underneath the perimeter of the patch should help prevent leaks. Use enough caulk so that it squishes out from underneath then tool down the caulk around the perimeter of the sheet metal patch forming a tight seal.

Hope this helps,

jeck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:18 PM   #5

A well written and properly descriptive and thought out response.

Good Advise.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeck15 View Post
Interesting question you posted. Concerning whether to patch or totally replace, consider how you want the building to look long-term. Obviously, a patch is not going to look as nice. Standing seam should have no nails showing and it is expensive to replace. Standing seam requires special tools & equipment and around here, they cannot be rented.

Your idea of using self-adhesive aluminum should work although it may have to be replaced every few years. You may also consider using a sheet metal patch anchored in place with screws or rivets. A generous quantity of silicone or other high quality caulk underneath the perimeter of the patch should help prevent leaks. Use enough caulk so that it squishes out from underneath then tool down the caulk around the perimeter of the sheet metal patch forming a tight seal.

Hope this helps,

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote