DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How to repair hole in Standing Seam Metal Roof

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Ed the Roofer 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have an outbuilding that has a standing seam metal roof. During a recent storm tree limbs fell on it and one of them punctured the roof. It's a small hole — 3" in diameter — and I wonder what is the best way to fix it?

Should I replace them entire length of the channel, or just get some self-adhesive peel-and-stick aluminum and slap it on? Or something else? What's the recommended fix for longevity?

Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

#4 ·
Interesting question you posted. Concerning whether to patch or totally replace, consider how you want the building to look long-term. Obviously, a patch is not going to look as nice. Standing seam should have no nails showing and it is expensive to replace. Standing seam requires special tools & equipment and around here, they cannot be rented.

Your idea of using self-adhesive aluminum should work although it may have to be replaced every few years. You may also consider using a sheet metal patch anchored in place with screws or rivets. A generous quantity of silicone or other high quality caulk underneath the perimeter of the patch should help prevent leaks. Use enough caulk so that it squishes out from underneath then tool down the caulk around the perimeter of the sheet metal patch forming a tight seal.

Hope this helps,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.