Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Zach5.9CTD Send a message via MSN to Zach5.9CTD Send a message via Yahoo to Zach5.9CTD Send a message via Skype™ to Zach5.9CTD
Share |

How to pick shingles for a roof

Hey guys, i recently purchased a house that has a 10 yr old roof on it but has the appearance and wear of a 30+ yr old roof. Its on a 24'x48' (approx) pre-fab home with a 3-12 or 4-12 roof. I live in iowa so its known to be windy, have storms and hail, lots of trees on property, could have large amounts of wet heavy snow during winter months etc.

Basically, i want a HIGH QUALITY shingle that will withstand all the above criteria we deal with and last at least 20-30 years.

This is first home and have 0 experience in picking shingles, but have a small history in replacing roofs etc.

Previous owner has agreed to pay half of cost of roof/shingle replacement.

Zach5.9CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #2

Please take the time to use the search funtion, this question has been asked hundreds of times on here.
What type of venting is there on this roof?
Any soffit vents?
Reason I ask is improper venting will drasticly shorten the life of shingles.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
registered

Certain teed landmarks or Owens corning duration.. Go to there websites and browse around.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Roofmaster

I second the Landmarks. Really nice shingles. Use high wind area nailing, ice dams flashing at eaves, valleys, and rakes.

Tip: Run the ridge vent all the way to the end of your ridge(s) even though they will not function at the ends, since you stop the cutout back about 2 feet. It looks much better than holding it back, and you don't have a ridge cap breaking in two planes.

Tip: Pewter is really classy looking.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Zach5.9CTD Send a message via MSN to Zach5.9CTD Send a message via Yahoo to Zach5.9CTD Send a message via Skype™ to Zach5.9CTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Please take the time to use the search funtion, this question has been asked hundreds of times on here.
What type of venting is there on this roof?
Any soffit vents?
Reason I ask is improper venting will drasticly shorten the life of shingles.

im sure this has been asked 100s of times, but no two properties are alike or have the same characteristics, i did use search function and didnt find all the answers i needed which is why i asked again.
Zach5.9CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Metal Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach5.9CTD View Post
im sure this has been asked 100s of times, but no two properties are alike or have the same characteristics, i did use search function and didnt find all the answers i needed which is why i asked again.

"what is the best shingle" has been beat to death and searching for that will provide you more info than you need.

The other info Joe asked about was just to help you. There is more to reroofing than just installing the best shingle. You need to look at the exsisting ventilation and make sure you have enough...again this has been discussed many times and is avail if you search.

We dont know what your property has, you need to look at it or provide pics so we can see it and advise you.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
registered

Here is the bottom line. You need in take ventilation on your soffits. You need proper ventilation on the roof. I never seen a roofer bad mouth a certain teed landmark on contractors talk.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote