How To Overlap Flashing - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to Overlap Flashing

When I came home yesterday, a long 10-foot piece of aluminum flashing at the very top of my roof was about 3 quarters of the way torn off my roof. Probably due to high winds yesterday. Note that this is at the very top of the roof, and not a "valley." I don't know what you call this type of flashing at the top of a roof. It covers the area where the 2 slopes of the roof meet up (there's maybe a 2-inch gap between the plywood, and I can see down into the attic). I went to Lowe's and found some 8-foot aluminum pieces that look very similar to the 10-foot ones currently on the roof. I'd like to replace all 3 10-foot pieces with 4 8-foot pieces, but I don't know how to connect them to keep the joints from leaking.

The existing 10-foot pieces were installed with an overlap of maybe 2-3 inches, so that one piece fits inside the one next to it. I couldn't figure out how to do this overlap with the 8-foot pieces. Do I need special tools to do this? Do I need some tar or anything else to seal the connection? Also, are plain old 1.5-inch galvanized roofing nails good enough to secure this type of flashing?

Thanks very much for your help!

Andy

Advertisement

douglaae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

How to Overlap Flashing

is this a ridge vent?

Advertisement

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

How to Overlap Flashing

If a ridge vent looks like this: http://www.kurowski.com/dreamhomes/c...e%20vents..jpg, then yes.

I bought these aluminum pieces (flashing?) from Lowe's and want to know how to connect them: http://www.r11roofing.com/images/ridge%20vent.gif. Are those small pieces in the picture the connectors? I didn't buy any of those...

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by douglaae; 04-08-2010 at 09:42 AM.
douglaae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

How to Overlap Flashing

I suggest you return the kind of ridgevent you bought and go with something along the lines of GAF Sno Country or other brands simliar to that product.
BamBamm5144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Residential Roofer

How to Overlap Flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglaae View Post
If a ridge vent looks like this: http://www.kurowski.com/dreamhomes/c...e%20vents..jpg, then yes.

I bought these aluminum pieces (flashing?) from Lowe's and want to know how to connect them: http://www.r11roofing.com/images/ridge%20vent.gif. Are those small pieces in the picture the connectors? I didn't buy any of those...

Thanks,
Andy
Yes, you need the connectors "rubber insert & metal cover" for each section that meets another.
The ends of each section only gets the rubber insert.

You place your first piece, the end that will not connect to another gets a rubber piece pushed all the way inside to block any bugs/insects from getting in there,
the side that will connect to another piece, you will stick one rubber piece half way in and than the other half will go inside the next piece as you slide them together and than the metal strap covers that joint created between the two.

Make sure all your nails go in flush and than caulk all of them with a dab of metal caulking 'not roof cement'.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
Residential Roofer

How to Overlap Flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144 View Post
I suggest you return the kind of ridgevent you bought and go with something along the lines of GAF Sno Country or other brands simliar to that product.
I didn't realize they still exposed metal ridge vents, have not installed them since the late 80's early 90's.

Advertisement

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
connect , flashing , overlap , roof