Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #1

Share |

How Much Space Between Each Asphalt Shingle?

My three-tab shingles have been in my basement and they are probably at about 65 degrees. I am going to put them on my storage shed tomorrow and it will be about 50 to 55 degrees. Most articles that I have read only say to just run a row of shingles and do not say whether there should be a space between the shingles for expansion. Only found two articles that mentioned spacing. One said do not butt them up tightly against each other and one article said to leave about 1/16 inch between each shingle for expansion.

In one of the questions on this site someone had shingles that had buckled, and someone wrote that when installed the installer did not leave space between shingles for expansion.

I would appreciate any advice as to what space, if any, that I should leave between them, especially with the difference in temperatures between the shingles and the air outside now, and what would happen this summer.

Thanks

Phil

Phila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

55 isn't bad. Just a 'visible' gap is all. Not quite in contact with each other. If the dab of sealer is the only thing touching, it won't hurt. 1/64" maybe. A hairline gap is fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
Snav (12-16-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
Disabled wood vet

I agree. Hairline.
(instructions on package)

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #4

Back in the good ole days when i was young and feeding 4 kids and Hallmarks were $45 i figured I could save $20 a roof by using a 1/4" space between shingles
heck gas was up to 65 cents a gallon then
kt82 is offline   Reply With Quote