Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #1

Share |
Question

How much NFVA for 10x10 Shed?

Hi Folks,

I'm a DIYer building a simple 10x10 shed, 8' high walls, 4/12 gable roof pitch, and 12" eaves. No overhang on the ends.

I had planned to put in soffit vents along with a ridge vent. Prior to doing some recent reading, I had no idea that it was important to properly size the venting. Seems obvious now!

I found calculations for the minimum NFA required. It's based on attic floor space. The result is a very small amount if venting required. I'm wondering if I can or should exceed that minimum NFVA amount? I'm looking or any suggestions for how much venting to add to this small shed.

Thanks,
Matt

mklein49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
43 years in construction

Note that all code requirements establish minimum acceptable standards. The venting required in building codes is primarily for moisture control in the attic space and is not for heat control. You can always add more ventilation at your option. Keep in mind, that there is a relationship between the net free opening sizes of the high and low opening that should be maintained. The net free area of the high vent(s) (ridge) should be equal to or greater than the sum of the net free areas of all the lower vents (eaves).

Rick

Arkitexas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arkitexas For This Useful Post:
mklein49 (10-04-2013)
Old 10-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

+1 to Arkitexas.

You don't really need any given the lack of a conditioned space.

For the ease of install and more leakproof application, I would just throw in some gable end vents. It will breathe enough.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post

You don't really need any given the lack of a conditioned space.

For the ease of install and more leakproof application, I would just throw in some gable end vents. It will breathe enough.
i agree. and they don't need to be very big at all. but since there will be no overhang, see that they are water shedding.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote