DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How Many Years Left

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Ed the Roofer 
#1 ·
I was wondering how many years my roof has left.

Some people I have talked to think I need to get it replaced. Others say it has alot of life left.

I did find some of the overhangs that are rotting out due to moisture. Not sure if it something I can easily fix and it is one spot of if I need to replace all of it.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
How many years has it been on so far?

It seems as if the material is a bit inferior, due to the excessive curling for a laminated architectural shingle, but that may be a direct result of inadequate ventilation, both fresh air intake and roof top exhaust.

The rotting overhangs are only going to get worse the longer the roof and ventilation stay in the same condition.

Moisture deterioration could be caused by a lack of proper ventilation, or it may be signs of a roof leak.

Are the dark spots wet?

Are they consistent throughout an entire side or even both sides?

I would recommend a complete roof removal and address the causes of the problems when getting a new roof specified.

Ed

#9 ·
How many years has it been on so far?

Are the dark spots wet?

Are they consistent throughout an entire side or even both sides?
Ed
I am not sure on how many years for the roof. My guess would be that it has never been replaced which would make it around 30 years.

The Dark spots that you see on each shingle are not wet spots and are consistent across the roof.

#11 ·
Time for a new roof and soffit board replacement. Also, make sure you have the contractor install 2 rows, 6 feet wide of Grace Ice and Water Shield along all of the gutter eave edges to prevent this type of leak ever occurring again in the future.

Ed

#13 ·
Found It

I found were the water is coming from. I looked outside when it was raining yesterday, and the watter is running down the backside of the facing board. It does not even make it to the gutters.

can this be fixed or is it still roof replacement. I would really like to get just a couple more years out of the roof if possible. I just found out that my siding needs replaced as well.

I am going to get up in the attic and see if the roof as ever been replaced.. If it has not it is 30 years old otherwise I have no clue.

#14 ·
I would bet that the material between the slots or keyways is completely burned out and degraded if this is a 30 year old roof. Look at the slot lines between the bottom row of shingles and see.

Do you have these stains coming in every 12" or so?

Some isiots do not even install starter shingles under the first applied course of field application shingles and then the felt paper gets dried out and leaks, but this is usually the sign of a rookie untalented shingler wannabe or a DIY Home Owner project.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.