Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
Dave The Roofer

Send a message via AIM to Dave The Roofer
Share |

How many nails should be used, 4 or 6 per shingle?

Everyone has their own opinion about this question; do (4) nails help better than (6) nails per shingle?

My sales guys ask me if it really helps, during our sale training meetings, what do you guys think?

Last edited by Dave The Roofer; 01-01-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Dave The Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
I have gas!

Not a pro, but I just followed the instructions on the package. I used 4 because I'm not on the coast and I didn't have a nailer. You're also less likely to have a seam fall on a nail with only 4 fasteners.
I'd be interested in what advice the pros on this board have to offer as to 4 or 6.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
Chicago, IL

If you are confident that a fastening method meets ASTM D7158-08d for the location in which the shingles are installed, it's hard to see what's gained by improving the method.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Civil Engineer

The last shingle install I did, the manufacturer's recommendation was 4 per shingle, or six if you were in hurricane country.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Pro Slate Roofer

Just west of the coast here. Depends on expoure to the weather. I use from 4 to 6 'depending'. Since most other rooferrs nail above 5 1/2", their shingles slide off before we have to worry about how many nails or weather.
Attached Thumbnails
How many nails should be used, 4 or 6 per shingle?-12-06-08.jpg   How many nails should be used, 4 or 6 per shingle?-blowoffs.jpg   How many nails should be used, 4 or 6 per shingle?-1207091218.jpg  
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #6

ALWAYS follows the manufacturers instructions. Never guess or do what YOU think. If warranty is ever an issue it will come back to haunt you. Extra nailing is required among manufacturers for steep slope and high wind situations. Nailing with 6 nails in normal situation is not needed.
mae-ling (09-17-2012)
Old 01-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
Pro Slate Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
ALWAYS follows the manufacturers instructions. Never guess or do what YOU think. If warranty is ever an issue it will come back to haunt you. Extra nailing is required among manufacturers for steep slope and high wind situations. Nailing with 6 nails in normal situation is not needed.
RIght on. Better worded than I wrote.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
I have gas!

Frank, those pics don't look like a nail frequency problem but a complete incorrect nailing pattern. It looks like the nails were positioned too high. If nailed in the correct position using 4 nails/shingle, your really getting 8 nails total including the nails from the shingle above.

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 01-01-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
Dave The Roofer

Send a message via AIM to Dave The Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
Just west of the coast here. Depends on expoure to the weather. I use from 4 to 6 'depending'. Since most other rooferrs nail above 5 1/2", their shingles slide off before we have to worry about how many nails or weather.
That answers alot of questions, what do you think happen here?

Skip nailing?

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 01-07-2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: removed advertising links
Dave The Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
Pro Slate Roofer

"Frank, those pics don't look like a nail frequency problem but a complete incorrect nailing pattern. It looks like the nails were positioned too high. If nailed in the correct position using 4 nails/shingle, your really getting 8 nails total including the nails from the shingle above."
Yep. They could use 12 nails here and it wouldn't matter. I watched a crew install dimensionals next door to my house. 6/12 nailed about 3" high. Guy said they always nail like that since it's the right way.

On some 4 /12's, I'll drop back to 4 nails. All others get 6.

BTW do you know why the manufacturers are so adamant about NOT removing the plastic on the backs of the shingles? It supplies about 85% of the holding power.
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (09-17-2012)
Old 01-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
Pro Slate Roofer

Does it really matter when the water just soaks through the 8-10 year old shingles anyway? I've seen this on 4-5 year old roofs. They don't really shed water very well any more. This was 4-5/12 roof. I tried to get the pics before the water could evaporate. The entire roof was like this.
Attached Thumbnails
How many nails should be used, 4 or 6 per shingle?-water-soaked-shingles.jpg   How many nails should be used, 4 or 6 per shingle?-water-soaked-shingles-8-.jpg   How many nails should be used, 4 or 6 per shingle?-water-soaked-shingles-5-.jpg  
Old 01-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
Pro Slate Roofer

BTW, in the bright sunlight, you still couldn't see a trace of light through the shingles from either side.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #13

Tinner - I had a similiar argument with an ex employee about high nailing because he was taught thats the right and "only" way. Drove me nuts and couldn't change the habit.

How many nails I put into a shingle depends on the pitch, the type of shingle of course and the wind area. It could be four, maybe five or six.

I always tell guys that I don't care if you put 10 nails into a shingle, it won't hold up as well putting four into the proper place.

To this day, I have yet to have a blow off and majority of my roofs I only use four nails.
BamBamm5144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #14
MJW

If there were inspections like we have here, there wouldn't be as many problems with nailing. I've seen entire roofs that guys had to come back and renail every shingle.

Asdie from the nailing in those pics, it's obvious those shingles wouldn't make it long anyhow. Light colored shingles, cheap, thin......just doesn't work, especially on a steeper pitch. Racking will give you just as much trouble. Some guys never learn until it hits them in the pocket book. Most don't care because they are gone the next day.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #15

these are 3 tabs shingles..it doesnt matter how many nails or where they are placed. they will eventually blow off, they are worthless. NEVER use them.

dwcrockett71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roofing, sales training, start a roofing business