Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #1

Share |

How to install wall cap onto vinyl?

Bought an over the range microwave and want to vent it to the outside. Luckily, the wall Im mounting the microwave on is directly right outside from it. I bought the Broan 639 which is a 3 1/4" x 10" duct which mates perfectly with the microwave.

My problem is how do I mount the wall cap to vinyl and make it look nice? I guess I could mount it on something, but then it wouldn't be level with the vinyl. Just want to get an idea before I regretfully made a hole in our house and my wife kills me, lol.

Here is the link to the wall cap.
http://www.broan.com/products/produc...1-71f569d95d01

word2yamutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #2

You remove the siding in that area, attach a siding block that has been cut to fit your vent, then cut the siding out to fit the siding block making sure to leave about 3/8" on all sides to leave room for expansion.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_89145-835-13...7C1&facetInfo=

Old 09-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
You remove the siding in that area, attach a siding block that has been cut to fit your vent, then cut the siding out to fit the siding block making sure to leave about 3/8" on all sides to leave room for expansion.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_89145-835-13...7C1&facetInfo=
I guess Im limited on what I can do because I have vinyl? Just to confirm I'm leaving an extra 3/8" on each side, correct?
word2yamutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #4

The siding block has a removable trim ring. It needs to be removed to be able to drive in the 1-1/4 galv. roof nails to attach it to the wall. Use a small level to make sure when your installing it that's it's level.
Once it's in place you'll see what I'm talking about. Once the sidings installed the trim ring will cover the small gap.