Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #1

Share |

How to install permanent roof anchor

I need to install 4 double D permanent roof anchors, and I am unsure how to remove the ridge caps, and re-install them, and how to find the trusses. The roof anchors need to be nailed into the trusses......George
Attached Thumbnails
How to install permanent roof anchor-dscf1315.jpg   How to install permanent roof anchor-roof1.jpg  
westrock777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #2

Just slide a flat bar under them and start a poping um off. Once there off just start looking for where the nails ar holding down the sheathing. Most often there's gap enough at the peak to be able to look down inside and see the rafters.

What is it you doing that needs those?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #3

I've got to paint the trim and cedar shakes right up to the roof peak and I need the anchors to clip off the fall restraint lines. I presume the ridge caps can be reinstalled using the same nail holes, or new holes ?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #4

I would just rent a man lift for a day and forget about all that mess. Your more likly to get hurt climbing up on the roof to clip on your safety rope doing it your way.

Last edited by joecaption; 09-13-2012 at 08:47 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

+1

Be careful. If you are worried about the roof anchor installation, being on the ridge of a relatively steep roof is probably not the best place to be figuring it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-13-2012), kwikfishron (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I would just rent a man lift for a day and forget about all that mess. Your more likly to get hurt climbing up on the roof to clip on your safety rope doing it your way.
I could do the front with a lift but the sides are on an incline and the lifts have incline limiters. I thought about a scaffold out through the windows but I would have to build one as no one rents them; I'd still need a safety line. I'm not crazy about installing the roof anchors but can't think of any other way to get up there to paint those peak fascia.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
Mod

I see nothing there that canít be reached off a ladder. You can install roof jacks and a toe board on the garage roof and set a ladder off that.

You can rent lifts (that you can tow) with outriggers that level on sloped surfaces.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
I see nothing there that canít be reached off a ladder. You can install roof jacks and a toe board on the garage roof and set a ladder off that.

You can rent lifts (that you can tow) with outriggers that level on sloped surfaces.
No room for the lift outriggers at my house.

Roof jacks and a toe board would get me up there; it's the falling down part that I'm not crazy about. Perhaps there's another way to rig a safety line other than the roof anchor idea???
Attached Thumbnails
How to install permanent roof anchor-roof3.jpg  
Old 09-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #9

A commonly told story is that a homeowner working on his roof placed the rope over the ridge and tied it to the bumper of his car. Everything would have been fine had his wife not decided to drive to the supermarket to get a container of milk. The morale to the story is don't forget to disconnect the battery if you want to improvise.
Can you drape the rope over the ridge and tie it to something solid like a big tree? I know those straps are rated to hold a man but unless they are attached correctly (as you know), you could end up a statistic.
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Mod

I guess the part I donít understand is, if just being on a ladder puts the fear of falling into you then how do you plan on getting up on that 12/12 to install the anchors? Thereís more risky work involved in that project than there is in painting off a ladder.

Iím thinking the best advice I can give you is to hire this out. Itís pretty simple, if youíre not comfortable with working up high then you shouldnít be up there, harness or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #11

Kwickfishron is right. A ladder is WAAYYY safer than messing around with roof anchors, etc. They make ladder levelers that can be attached to the legs of your ladder to balance almost any type of incline.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

The part that gets me is that they will be out in the weather. That means that the metal will corrode. Which means that they will no longer be same to use after a couple of years. Another WTHWIT moment, when it fails.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Kwickfishron is right. A ladder is WAAYYY safer than messing around with roof anchors, etc. They make ladder levelers that can be attached to the legs of your ladder to balance almost any type of incline.

I'm thinking this is the perfect solution; fully interactive ladder leveller, and full coverage health insurance.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to westrock777 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-14-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #14

Some jobs are not safe for a homeowner. I agree with Kwickfishron. Hire someone and make certain he has insurance in the event of an accident.
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #15

If you have ridge venting, forget about this and hire someone.
If not:

In order to find a truss before ripping off all the caps, just bang lightly with a hammer along the ridge (about a foot down) until you hear that you're hitting a truss. It's a definitive sound.

Once you find the cap you need to remove, tap a flat pry bar under the nail and slowly pry it up. You will have to remove the nails from the following cap in order to remove the cap you need. Depending on which ridge caps you have you may need to remove 2 or 3 caps.

Install your Double-D

Replace the caps using DIFFERENT holes. Use a tar based mastic to seal the old holes in the caps.

Walk up your valley (feet on either side), it will be much easier to get to the top, and don't walk on top of your caps either.
bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote