Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #1

Share |

how to install corrugated metal roof

I am deployed to afghanistan right now, and we are installing a corrugated metal roof. We are trying to find out if there is a specified way of doing it.

1. Should you run from eave to ridge, Then working your way down the roof?

Or should you put the whole first layer going gable to gable,then starting the next layer and so on?

2. should you stagger the seams at all?

Thanksahead of time for any responses.

john.deline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

If you are not using full-length panels, proceed one run at a time from eave to ridge. STAGGER YOUR JOINTS with the next run. You never want two laps to line up next to each other. Work from gable to gable. Hope this is what you were asking

OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:03 AM   #3

so why would you not want the 4 sheets overlaping and tieing in together in the same spot seems to me that would be more secure and less screws.

and you do not want to stagger first set of sheets to second sheet to the third sheet?
Old 08-14-2010, 01:17 AM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.deline View Post
so why would you not want the 4 sheets overlaping and tieing in together in the same spot seems to me that would be more secure and less screws.
because you are stacking up 4 layers of metal in one spot. Staggering eliminates a layer and lines the panels up more consistently. You are going to use the same amount of fasteners either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.deline View Post
and you do not want to stagger first set of sheets to second sheet to the third sheet?
I'm not understanding this...

vertically you run the panels straight up the roof from eave to ridge. horizontally, if you are not using full-length panels, you want to stagger the length of the next panel a few feet above or below the run you just installed.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:04 AM   #5

they ar trying to run from gable to gable with the second run staggered from the first by cutting a sheet in half. then running the next row like the first.