How To Fix Electrical Mast Flashing In Place? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

How to fix electrical mast flashing in place?

Looking for ideas to repair this flashing without having to undo the service wires coming into the house (see picture).

The flashing has split near the base, allowing rain water to come into the attic. I would like to find a robust solution (not just some kind of a patch) to seal the flashing, maybe some kind of a secondary flashing to go over the present one - but I can't think of any solutions that would work without undoing the service lines.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

lyonkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

http://www.bestmaterials.com/SearchR...Words=retrokit

Advertisement

OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #3

Yeah, that's sort of what I am looking for, thanks for the link... But I'm not quite prepared to spend $120 for a piece of sheetmetal, is that for real?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #4

Maybe something like this would work at a reasonable cost:
http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=18250
Old 03-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonkster View Post
Maybe something like this would work at a reasonable cost:
http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=18250
No, those are for metal.

Didn't say it was cheap. Just said it's proper

What is leaking on the existing? If it's not the base rotting out you can get a tube of NP1 and just seal it up.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #6

I don't see the distinction on their website, maybe I'm missing it? Regardless, the mast is a 2" metal pipe, so that should work?... The leak appears to be at the base of the flashing, it seems to have split. I haven't climbed on the roof yet, just took the picture above from the ground. I could see a line of daylight from the attic, so it looks like the seam has split. It's definitely not rotted. You are right, I can probably just caulk it with something...
Old 03-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
Doing This Way Too Long

Well, of course we are always going to steer you to do it the most correct way possible. I don't want people to think the best advice is always to caulk it but, in your case it is a viable option.

Can't tell for sure but the pic almost looks like someone took a lead and split it. if it is then the ideal thing to do is solder it properly but I'm going to guess you can't do that yourself. Sooo, as long as it's somehow wrapped decently you could get a good urethane caulk (NP1, Vulcum or such) and just seal it. They do not generally get a huge beating as far as roofing parts go so should last a while.

It also doesn't look like your roof is too old. Your roofers should have paid a little closer attn to detail.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,256

+1

Proper ≠ least expensive.

If that is a lead boot, it should be repaired/re-soldered.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #9

I am not yet seeing the advantage of the expensive boot over the cheaper boot, maybe I'd need to have in my hand to understand.

OldNBroken, you are right, the roof is not all that old (about 8 years), and the roofers should have done a better job. Don't get me started on how many things I had to have them come back and fix, a good indication would be that I paid for a ridge vent, which they put in, but didn't cut the needed slots in the roof along the ridge .

I'll venture up on the roof today with a caulking gun in hand. I'll caulk the crack to stop the leak for the nearterm, and also see up close what the issue is and how it should be fixed (solder, caulk, boot, etc). Stay tuned .
Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
Stroudsburg Roofer

You can probably buy this from your local roofing distributor. Below is a link with some more information. Hope this helps.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-13-2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Removed Link
PAHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #11

Thanks, that's very similar to what I linked in post #4. I'll keep it in mind, but I'll go climb on the roof first to inspect the situation up close.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
Doing This Way Too Long

Never seen that one before PAHome. That is an option and probably half the price of the other.

BTW lyonkster, the ones above are for metal roofs and only have a narrow flange to be sealed and screwed into the roof. Notice this one has a much wider base flange. Make sure that is what you look for.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #13

Here is what I got, it looks like the roofers used a two piece flashing to begin with, sealed with caulk of some sort, which has now split, ugh:

Here is a closeup, explaining the wet ceiling I saw in the bedroom below:

Here is how I dealt with it for now, with some Kerdi-Fix silicone sealant that I had on hand:

That should hold for a while, while I ponder a more permanent solution. I'll call the power company first and see if they can yank the wires for me for a few minutes while I slip a new flashing in place - if they will, that's probably the best solution. I may also consider doing it myself, like I did when I put in the new service ...

But that solution, or the retrofit ones posted above, would require messing with the shingles. Is there something I can use that would avoid having to lift the shingles? I don't mind doing it, but if I can avoid it, that would be better . Old shingles tend to start crumbling if you mess with them.

Leon

Last edited by lyonkster; 03-27-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #14
Doing This Way Too Long

Regardless of whether you pull the lines or use a retro you still have to mess with the shingles. Yours should still be very workable from the looks of them. Thanks for the very nice pictures of it. That flashing is not standard by and stretch of the imagination. Only intended to last until their taillights faded in the distance. Your patch there should hold a while and at least you now know the problem and how to resolve it if it comes back.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #15

You are right, I don't see an easy and reliable way of getting around dealing with the shingles. So I'll just go ahead and deal with them, after checking with the power company.

The roofing company is actually quite reputable and has been in the area for over 40 years, so it crossed my mind to call them. Then I remembered the troubles I had with them during the roofing project, and got my sanity back. There is a reason I am die hard DIYer, and the situation here, thanks to a "professional", is the best example.

Leon

Advertisement