How To Finish Off End Of Soffit? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

How to finish off end of soffit?

Hi, I had a small entrance put on the house that was left unfinished. Not sure how to properly finish off the end of soffit to close up gap?

thank you

Advertisement

Lehmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #2

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/34/by8k.jpg/

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 702

If this a joke?
There's not one thing I can see they that was done right.
Vinyl soffit was installed in the wrong direction and is not slid into a piece of F moulding or sitting on top of J molding.
There was no wooden end installed at the end of the soffit. There was supposed to be a rafter tail there to attach something to. It should have been wrapped in coil stock, not just some filler stuck in the hole.
Sidings not sitting inside of the J moulding.
Is that just spray expanding foam sticking out of the wall above the roof?
What's up with that?
Miss matched elbows.
Caulking was supposed to be on the inside of the gutter not smeared all over the outside of it where it's doing nothing.
Live_Oak (11-06-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If this a joke?
There's not one thing I can see they that was done right.
Vinyl soffit was installed in the wrong direction and is not slid into a piece of F moulding or sitting on top of J molding.
There was no wooden end installed at the end of the soffit. There was supposed to be a rafter tail there to attach something to. It should have been wrapped in coil stock, not just some filler stuck in the hole.
Sidings not sitting inside of the J moulding.
Is that just spray expanding foam sticking out of the wall above the roof?
What's up with that?
Miss matched elbows.
Caulking was supposed to be on the inside of the gutter not smeared all over the outside of it where it's doing nothing.

Joe your actually wrong for a change, It is there to look ugly, therefore it is actually doing something.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

LMAO! That's a great picture.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #6

Hi, unfortunately this is not a joke. I guess that's what happens when you trust someone to do the job correctly and doesn't finish or do it correctly. I was left with a leaking roof and had to hire someone else to redo the entire section. I don't think the roofs were tied together correctly either but the last contractor was able to stop leak by redoing shingles.

As for the foam, I'm not sure what that is doing, probably to stop an open hole that was left. I guess before the winter sets in, I'd like to be able to patch the largest hole left which is where you see the white foam. Unfortunately I don't have much contracting skills and was hoping to avoid hiring another person to finish this small project.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

Didn't mean any harm . Sorry for your troubles. Try to find someone you can trust to fix that mess.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 564

Can you post some additional pictures. Further back and also from the other direction so we can see more of the work. If you can take a shot of the roof and that yellow foam.

You may not have the skills to fix it, but the folks here will help you determine what needs to be fixed.
Lehmeow (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #9

Old 11-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #10

Old 11-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #11

I'm not so concerned on the aesthetics of how it turns out, however, I'd like it to be efficient. I had this done to replace a bilco door entering the basement. I had birds and bugs getting into the basement, and i just stuck the white foam up there as a temporary fix.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 790

You got a lot going on there that makes my hillbilly ass look sophisticated. I would start on top and work down, i.e. what the devil is that ton of foam compensating for and how do we fix that?? In the mean time if you're just wanting to get through the winter....foam the end of the soffit too. Normally there would be some wood there that matches your facia board. You can still do that but there is nothing there to attach it to currently.
Lehmeow (11-07-2013), mj12 (11-22-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 552

I would just get some sheet alum and fabricate an end pc to close off the gable end. That will cover the hole, thats about it.

I think you will need to tackle this one problem at a time, there is much to be done.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 702

Expanding foam is near impossible to get off of siding.
If there's air leaks in that inside corner then that means that whole area was done wrong and the door and the siding need to come off to fix it right.
There should have been house wrap, tar paper, window and door wrap, something to seal that area where the two walls meet before the siding went up.
That gutter in the door area is missing a couple of angled stand offs so the gutter would sit level.
That door is to wide for that small an area, there's no good way to trim and seal around it on the right side.
Some of this stuff would have to be fixed by someone that knows what there doing and is on site. EG: closing up the end of the soffit, figuring out why that siding is not sitting inside of trim instead of an unfinished end.
Looks like your already having mold setting in on the brick molding because it's it direct contact with that stoop, which is another no no. Built like that water can coming in right under the door.

Advertisement