Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #1

Share |

How to find leaks on a hotmoped slightly sloped roof?

My house was built in the 50's, its an older slumpstone home. Last year we found out that we had 3 leaks on the roof. One was coming from somewhere around our swamp cooler, the others were towards the back bathroom. Figuring out where the leaks are is going to be pretty tricky because of the angle of my roof.

Any ideas or suggestions? We have to figure out something before this winter hits, or my roof may fall! Help! 8)

cdlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #2

Three leaks, time for a whole new roof most likly.
At this point your going to be playing wack a mole.

Post a picture of the roof.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #3

Is there any way to make it last just one more winter? Don't have funds for whole new roof as of right now.... Where do you want me to take a pic of the roof? I'm 6 months pregnant, so getting on a ladder is no easy task! Lol
Old 08-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #4

Forgot to add that we have snow, extreme heat, and quite a bit of rain up here. We are in the so cal high desert.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

Without seeing the condition of the roof in general it's hard to say. The usual suspects are penetrations and walls but if the field is falling apart it could be anything.

Who do you plan on having possibly follow up on our suggestions? Whomever that person is could be a huge help in going up and taking some pictures.

BTW, congrats!
(on the little one, not the roof leaks)
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #6

Yes I do plan on getting pics, however I'm not sure on when I will be able to get them... Ill try to get them from the ground so you guys have somewhat of an idea of what's going on.

Ill go outside right now and upload to Photobucket. Does this fourm take html or img?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #7

Oh and thanks on the congratulations for the little one, she will be our second! Little girl this time, the first was a boy
Old 08-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #8

Old 08-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
Doing This Way Too Long

Looks like tar and gravel. A great roof during their lifetime but once they get in their twilight years they are a pain to maintain and keep watertight.

The leaks usually show up within four feet or so of the actual problem area. One needs to inspect any penetrations in the area. Clean off any loose gravel possible and three-course suspect area with mastic and webbing then sweep any loose gravel back onto the area that you can.

In the field it is usually splits in the ply sheets. Finding these is much more difficult but same process applies.

They can generally be nursed along for a few years but you need someone experienced with the system to do a proper job looking for and repairing any issues with it.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #10

Thank you old n broken! I talked it over with my boyfriend and we are going to mastic and web 8x8 squares around each leak, then when winter comes, hope we got it? LOL. I'm trying here!

What are the alternatives once spring comes around to hotmopping my roof? Because this is a major pita.

Thanks for your response!
Old 08-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
Doing This Way Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlc View Post

What are the alternatives once spring comes around to hotmopping my roof? Because this is a major pita.

Thanks for your response!
Tear it off. Replace it with another BUR, torchdown, fully-adhered epdm, PVC, Low-slope standing seam metal or (ugh!)TPO
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #12

Ok, I will ask my bf about those options. I was also checking into the foam roof but talked to a contractor friend who said that they leak?
Old 08-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #13
Metal Roofing

I looked into a foam roof for my sisters place, it a was pricy. Figure out your budget for a new roof and shop accordingly. Any roof will leak if not installed correctly.

As for my sisters roof, we did a White granulated modbit over smooth. This was not my ideal solution, but reframing 15 sq to eliminate the exisisting poor design was just not possible without spending 10s or thousands of dollars.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
Doing This Way Too Long

SPF will also look very unappealing on that house
Old 08-06-2012, 02:55 AM   #15

As I understand it foam roofs do not leak as the foam is completely water proof and can even be walked on. But I think most folks find them ugly. They are one of he best ways to go for insulation. And they need to be painted every 8 to 12 years. And they are one of if not the most expensive roof you can put on. I have been looking into one for years, for added insulation as I have no attic space to add insulation in. Keep getting turned off by the extreme cost.

tom1336 is offline   Reply With Quote