How To Enclose Soffit At Gable Ends? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

How to enclose soffit at gable ends?

Hi folks,

I'm looking to enclose the eaves on my shed at the gable end. The eaves are 12" from the building and I have simply nailed a 2x6" to the building at the gable ends doubling as the fascia and overhang. So basically what's needed is a triangle piece cut to fit below the end fascia board. I'm not sure if this is right or how to attach it? I wasn't sure where to nail.

Thanks.

Advertisement

mklein49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 600

Post a picture to make sure any suggestions are at least in the area where your asking about.
There's lots of different ways to do it.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...scia&FORM=IGRE

Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #3

Here a couple of photos. I had planned to make the soffit even with the ground and then needed something to enclose that end. I see there's lots of options. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks a lot
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 622

I've built the gable ends like that before, then clad the board and have a drip edge over it, and side up to the rake board.

I've also just ended the sheathing at the wall and used a gutter apron to hang over the siding, then vinyl side up to the roof.

I'm told that both methods will result in the edge of the roof and the top of the wall rotting out.

Time will tell. I simply don't believe that water will get through the shingles, roofing paper, and gutter apron, or through the housewrap and siding.

I do think that it looks better with a soffit, however, but I don't want to pay the extra cost of a 1' overhang.

As for how you should handle where the soffit on the eave side meets the gable, you'll want to make yourself a little box there out of plywood or 1x lumber, then clad the whole thing with coil stock/fascia cover.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
mklein49 (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 564

Too late now, but you should have had the rake board run longer to cover the end grain on the fascia.
To answer your question, cut a triangle to fill in the space for the soffit. Screw the triangle up into the rake board from the bottom on the short end. One the tall end, you can face nail into the sheathing.
Attached Images

mklein49 (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
Too late now, but you should have had the rake board run longer to cover the end grain on the fascia.
To answer your question, cut a triangle to fill in the space for the soffit. Screw the triangle up into the rake board from the bottom on the short end. One the tall end, you can face nail into the sheathing.
Interesting on the rake board. I never thought of that until you mention it. It's pretty obvious on that photo. I do plan to cover the boards with aluminum.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #7

Question

Thanks for all advice so far. So what I'm not clear on is how to cover that section properly now with aluminum. I have the pre-bent 6" fascia cover for the rake board. But with the pre-bent piece i wont' be able to run it past the triangle that I add to cover the eaves. I'm trying to think what to do here.

I figure I could cut the short piece off the pre-bent cover for the rake board and then run it to the other fascia board and overlap the aluminum clad triangle. Alternatively, I could just stop that when I hit the triangle.

Any thoughts? Hopefully, my description is clear enough. The basic question is how the heck to do I cover the area described above properly with aluminum. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklein49 View Post
Thanks for all advice so far. So what I'm not clear on is how to cover that section properly now with aluminum. I have the pre-bent 6" fascia cover for the rake board. But with the pre-bent piece i wont' be able to run it past the triangle that I add to cover the eaves. I'm trying to think what to do here.

I figure I could cut the short piece off the pre-bent cover for the rake board and then run it to the other fascia board and overlap the aluminum clad triangle. Alternatively, I could just stop that when I hit the triangle.

Any thoughts? Hopefully, my description is clear enough. The basic question is how the heck to do I cover the area described above properly with aluminum. Thanks.
My rakes used to be covered in aluminum before I had it redone in PVC. I looked as some old pics. The rake board was done in one piece and the triangle in another.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #9

was the bottom of the rake covered with aluminum prior to nailing in the triangle pice then? Or did you just have the outside of the rake covered?
Old 10-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #10

I found a pic with better detail. Looks like the triangle was wrapped first, then the rake over it.
Attached Thumbnails
How to enclose soffit at gable ends?-capture.jpg  
Old 10-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
I found a pic with better detail. Looks like the triangle was wrapped first, then the rake over it.
Ok that's pretty much what I had in mind. I think I'll just cut of the bottom piece from the rake cover so I can overlap the rest of it over the triangle.

Thanks

Advertisement