Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2013, 02:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

How to DYI change this roof ?

We want to change the back verandah to a sealed-in extension. The problem is the roof. How do we change this roof and make it look good, have it sealed, with all the gutters working and seal in the room? We don't want to use a box guttering because of the associated problems and we would like to do it ourselves (my husband is a plasterer and is very handy) but we are completely stymied for ideas. Of course we need to keep the $$$ down. The original roof is cement tiles, the present roof over the patio of course will go. Pictures attached. Please have a look and any ideas would be appreciated. TIA
Attached Thumbnails
How to DYI change this roof ?-begins-10-.jpg   How to DYI change this roof ?-oct-07-back-yard-2.jpg  

Blujinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,364

I'm confused, looks like you posted pictures of two different houses, which one's yours?
Also please go back and add your location to your profile, yes it makes a but difference.
Just go to quick links to edit.
In most cases an enclosed room will need a full foundation that's below the frost level.
An addition with that style roof and that lay out would be a challenge for even a pro to do and have it look right.

Blujinja (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #3

Sorry, I should have explained that the two pics are the same house. I showed the older version because is clearly shows the roof line and the 2nd pic is the house now (after renovations) with the patio awning over the raised wooden floored verandah. I know it is going to be a difficult project, that's why I am posting in this forum, hoping to find ideas. Not looking for defeat just yet. Thanks Jo
Old 11-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 644

I would be stymied too. Even if money were no object that will be a tough nut to crack. You would essentially need to rebuild your entire roof from the main peak back to a standard rectangular hip roof. You would need footers in the open span....Big big undertaking.
747 (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 550

Id have to agree with Polecat, thats a huge job.

The current patio roof is eleveated and overlaping the main house. Trying to use that existing patio roof will create a roofing nightmare.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
registered

Rewards Points: 514

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
I would be stymied too. Even if money were no object that will be a tough nut to crack. You would essentially need to rebuild your entire roof from the main peak back to a standard rectangular hip roof. You would need footers in the open span....Big big undertaking.

Yep. BIGJOB.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:25 AM   #7

Hmmmmm thanks for that Polecat ! Any other help there ?

Andy we are happy to take the patio roof off and not use it again of course. We will probably use that to make some kind of gazebo in the yard somewhere, same with the flooring.

Really ... we know the problems ... what I am looking for is anyone that might have an idea that might work.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #8

Well, I'm not currently using my brain for anything over here at the moment so I'm game. More parameters please. Do you intend for this space to be climate controlled or just sealed off against weather and vermin?
Old 11-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #9
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,042

What's the problem with the current roof on it? There are many ways to do a relatively flat roof like that, a great many of them the WRONG WAYS.

If you want to have a new sloped roof on top of a new addition then you're going to have to integrate it with the slopes of the 3 sides around it. Basically a gable extending from the main roof and then some sloped valleys along the sides. This is not a trivial job, especially given the use of concrete tiles. The weight of them requires a pretty robust structure under them. So any addition would have to be properly engineered from the roof down to the foundation to support the load.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,362

I have seen many houses with a shed roof style in this situation. Rafters go back up on the main roof as far as needed to get a decent pitch. You will need to reinforce the existing rafters where the new rafters sit and a knee wall above the exterior wall to help take the weight off the main roof. As far as a hip or gable roof addition, lots of luck on that, that would be tough or not at all.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,364

Just a thought, why not a mansard style roof?
Old 11-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
registered

Rewards Points: 514

I would highly recommend having a architect take a look.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
joecaption (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,042

From the looks of it the existing patio roof is a free standing structure, not integrated with the main house roof sections, correct? To build something like that isn't an unreasonable DIY task.

But to build something that's integrated with the main roof, that's a lot more complicated. It "can" be done DIY but it'd take a pretty significant amount of effort to get 'up to speed' on everything the structure would require. Starting with the kind of foundations necessary and then how the existing house might need to be altered to accommodate a new roof portion. The details there are complicated, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. There's a lot more to consider, like how the air conditioning system will have to be changed to handle a whole new part of the house. Or whether there are local electrical, building and/or plumbing codes that might come into play.

I'd definitely recommend at least talking with a local general contractor to get a rough estimate on the complexities of the job and the potential costs.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:57 AM   #14

Thanks for that.

We kinda knew that this was a difficult one and we know its not easy and we know that we will have to do some pretty tricky stuff but what we don't know it how it can be done.

We know one way is to take the roof line back to the apex and integrate it with the existing trusses so that it melds as a square. We know a builder would have to do that but I was hoping someone might come up with a tricky sort of clever idea that we haven't thought of.

Yes the existing patio roof is free standing and of course it will go. We also think the flooring will go as well in order to drop the floor level down for more height.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #15

If your existing roof is on trusses that further complicates things. They are mission designed and it is bad mojo to alter their use.

Tags
dyi, extension, ideas, roofing, suggestions