Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
CareBear

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How do I ventilate this roof?

I have a house that was built in the 1950s and then some more added in the 1980s. The ventilation is poor and it's hot upstairs in the Summer. I am getting a new roof for it but need to think about proper ventilation at the same time. There are essentially two attics, as you can see in the picture. There can be no soffit ventilation, as the attic does not overhang the hosue perimeter as it seems to do in modern houses. So there are a couple gable vents.

How should I ventilate this attic, given that I will be re-roofing at the same time?

Thanks!

CareBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:43 AM   #2

Smart Vent by DCI Products Inc. and several products from Air Vent Corp. both address your situations.

I personally like the Smart Vent products better for your situation.

Along the eave edges of bot house structures, the 12" pieces of Smart Vent get installed under the shingles, but on top of the decking. A 1" slot is cut into the decking between the 6" and 7" point above the eave. It is tapered, with the thicker butt end placed along the eave edge and tapers down to about 1/8" thick at the 12" above eave point. This would provide a rated 9" of NFVA per lineal foot installed for new fresh air intake ventilation, eliminating the necessity for soffit vents.

Both companies also make a roof to wall junction exhaust ventilation product as well.

Google their names and check out their website for specific deetails and specifications and availability in your area.

You should seal off the gable vents when installing the new intake and exhaust ventilation products, so that the air flowage will not be short circuited.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:33 AM   #3
CareBear

Thanks. I talked to a couple experienced roofers and they said they haven't heard of roof-to-wall ventilation, nor could I find any such thing from vent companies. One of the roofers suggested that it's a good idea for an invention, though. But until such a product could be found it was suggested that there be a couple "eye brow" vents up by the roof/wall area of attic #1. That's not ideal, but if that's the only alternative then I can accept it.

Thanks.
CareBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #4

Both of the companies that I mentioned previously make a ventilation product that works for a roof to wall transition.

Check out both of their web sites and you will fined out more than your professional roofers.

Even before these products were readily available, I found ways to modify existing products to create ventilation at various locations.

It is not Brain Surgery, but you do have to think about how to achieve a desired result sometimes.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:05 PM   #5

I googled smart vent by DCI products & they list a 1-800 # if you want tofind a local supplier to check it out. Great info Ed. Sometimes we use products that exceed any inspector or code requirement that isn't designed or marketed for the application we use it. Try to keep focused on what you want the finished roof to look like and what you want the ventilation remedies to accomplish. Just be sure not to settle for a solution because it will bug you every time you look at your roof. Been there done that. Cliff
UBoiler is offline   Reply With Quote