How Do I Install An Attic Fan On A Gravel/tar Roof? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

How do I install an attic fan on a gravel/tar roof?

I am in the process of installing a standard attic fan for a customer who has a gravel and tar roof. I have installed hundreds of fans and I am well aware of the risks. The surface is almost flat which means... no gable! This is the only option and installing a flashing on the roof is our final choice. Please respond only with tips on how to do it on the specified roofs, all other options have been explored.

Thanks!

Dude.

Advertisement

Electrical Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

I'm not quite sure that I understand the situation entirely, but what about building a small box and mounting the fan to that? Then you could tar around the box and then flash/counterflash.

You might want to make sure this isn't in a low point in the roof or ponding might present a problem for your freshly sealed hole.

Advertisement

meltdowndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038

Use a gravel bumper and clean the gravel back about 18"-24" on each side. If you tear into the felt anywhere, keep bumping to clear a larger area. Build your box 1" smaller than the fan housing, install the curb, then using a mod-but torch, heat and bend in at least 2 layers of mod-bit. Pay special attention to the corners, and run the mod-bit to the top of the box. Install the fan housing, which should cover the mod-bit about 2". That's your counter-flashing. Touch up any edges with Karnack Ultra19, I believe. Read the can to make sure it's compatible with the APP mod-bit you used.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

nicely done Tinner
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote