Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
Knows everything but that

Share |

How do I fix this?! (pic included)

I recently discovered a leak in my roof and am 99% sure if not 100% that this is the cause. The flashing is lifted up all along my edge here. Im planning on getting a new roof next spring so is there a decent temporary repair for it? Here is a shot and a close up.

Thanks everyone!

Shane

JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #2

Those step flashings are probably nailed into the wall instead of originally into the deck, probably because the last tear-off job removed multiple layers and they were at a higher elevation due to the thickness.

They look too banged up to be efficient, but they should have been shingled over the top of them with each course of shingles.

Temporarily, you can apply a caulking sealant under them at the junction where the shingles abutt the wall and try to seal the gap that should be present there.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
the Musigician

That CAN'T be romex I'm seeing there....
I'd clean out the crack, tap down as much as possible with a hammer and roofing tar the crap out of it until you can fix it correctly.
Shove as much inside the gaps as you can. It's messy, but what do you care, right? Po)

DM
Old 06-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #4

Mr Mouse. What makes you think that isnt Romex you are seeing there? Anyway, should I try to nail it back down on top of some sealant and then roof tar the seam. Seems that should hold up pretty darn well. Thanks for the quick responses!

Shane
Old 06-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #5

Romex isn't rated for outside use like that
Is that an AC line also - insulated ?

I'd try to seal it as Ed said
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #6

HAHA I knew that the wiring wasnt acceptable. And yes, that is an A/C line insulated. Is that also a no no? If I should/need to move the wire, now would be a good time as it wouldnt be the hard thing since all the walls and ceilings are open. Whats a proper way to run a line outside that way or is there no proper way? What about the A/C line, does that need moved/changed as well? Thanks so much, you guys are the best.

Shane
Old 06-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #7

I'd run the romex inside a wall since you said its open
Outside you can run UF wire, or THWN in conduit

Not sure on the AC line
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:45 AM   #8
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakAHearts View Post
HAHA I knew that the wiring wasnt acceptable. And yes, that is an A/C line insulated. Is that also a no no? If I should/need to move the wire, now would be a good time as it wouldnt be the hard thing since all the walls and ceilings are open. Whats a proper way to run a line outside that way or is there no proper way? What about the A/C line, does that need moved/changed as well? Thanks so much, you guys are the best.

Shane
The A/C line set can be run inside as well, but outside is acceptable. If there's enough slack,try to move it up on the wall and attach it so the flashing can be accessed w/o disturbing it later.

edit: looks like the insulation on the line set is in poor condition. Might be worth replacing it.

Last edited by seeyou; 06-05-2010 at 04:47 AM.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to seeyou For This Useful Post:
JakAHearts (06-05-2010)
Old 06-05-2010, 07:02 AM   #9

If it were me.I'd clean it up a bit get all the old built up crap off the flashing.Clean all the old tar off the under side of the edge of the flash.Apply a thick bead of tube tar under the flash and then nail the flash back down to the roof.Like Ed stated the flash in installed incorrectly.And the wrong material was used.The wall should be individually steped with flash.
Ron Smith Const is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:16 AM   #10
Mod

Looks like a leak to me.

If you want to be 100% sure before throwing gallons of goop on it get up there with a hose.
Start at the bottom and “slowly” work your way up with someone looking on the inside, you'll find your leak.

If you get up there and clean it all up and start nailing down the probably very fragile old metal to the roof you could make things worse. Use a little TLC.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 06-05-2010 at 07:22 AM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
JakAHearts (06-05-2010)
Old 06-05-2010, 08:29 AM   #11

Is there some trick besides elbow grease to cleaning the old black goop off. It seems to be rather permanent. :D
Old 06-05-2010, 08:55 AM   #12
Mod

Elbow grease is about it.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #13

The only tool is a flat bar.I would never recommend chemicals on a shingle roof.Work on it in the morning when it is cold or cool.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #14

Im not so sure the metal is nailed to the wall.The lack of J channel and the Face nails in the siding are a tale-tell sign that the metal is basically just slide in behind the siding.Not to mention they bent a few peices of siding in the process.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #15

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone in here. I reflashed and tarred the leaking area and replaced the romex with approved outdoor 10-2 wiring. Thanks so much to everyone here for keeping me and my family safe and dry!