DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How to determine how much siding I have?

893 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  TheRelic 
#1 ·
I know how to figure out how much I need for a project, but not sure how to figure out how much I have.

I have left over siding from another project in sections up to 8 feet. I will be siding two garages. Even the smaller sections will work nicely around the doors. So I am trying to figure out how much I have in pieces so I don't over order and end up with a few extra boxes of siding I am not using.

Is it simply linear feet by the inches of the siding minus the section you nail it in with which would be hidden underneath?

#2 ·
That is the normal way to calculate how much coverage you have.

To be safe buy a few more full sheets though to have it on hand "just in case".

Even the most careful applicator occasionally has a "oops' moment.

And when cutting for spaces around doors and openings, there will be a few wasted feet that will not be used.

ED

#3 ·
Always better to have more then enough so you can finish the project and return all but a few for future repairs if needed then to run out.
You do now how to make factory cuts to the cut off pieces if need be right?

#5 ·
I know how to figure out how much I need for a project, but not sure how to figure out how much I have.

I have left over siding from another project in sections up to 8 feet. I will be siding two garages. Even the smaller sections will work nicely around the doors. So I am trying to figure out how much I have in pieces so I don't over order and end up with a few extra boxes of siding I am not using.

Is it simply linear feet by the inches of the siding minus the section you nail it in with which would be hidden underneath?
As far as estimateing and getting close.... you have not told us what kind of siding you are using.... T111 is different from a lap.....

Still think just overorder and return is the practical solution.

Best

#6 ·
I was thinking that it might be STEEL or VINYL, or a similar .

But as we state it is better to have a bit extra than not enough.

ED

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.