Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2011, 06:11 AM   #1

Share |

How Cold Before you wait?

Its starting to get cold here, and I was wondering when I would want to stop and wait to re-roof my house? I plan to use Certainteed Shingles.

Mr Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #2
Residential Roofer

The exact time frame varies from year to year depending on weather, each season comes in a little differently then it did a year ago, but I schedule re-roofs up too the second/third week of November and start scheduling for the following March.

I have done re-roofs in the first couple weeks of December, rare.
I have done a few in January, extremely rare.
Don't believe I have ever done one in February.

I install new construction year round tho, installs are slow due to waiting for proper temps, etc.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
The exact time frame varies from year to year depending on weather, each season comes in a little differently then it did a year ago, but I schedule re-roofs up too the second/third week of November and start scheduling for the following March.

I have done re-roofs in the first couple weeks of December, rare.
I have done a few in January, extremely rare.
Don't believe I have ever done one in February.

I install new construction year round tho, installs are slow due to waiting for proper temps, etc.
So would you say when the tempature is consistantly below 40? or 30? I also can understant that you want to do it in a warmer tempature because youll rush the work if its too cold. So id be safe it sounds like if i dont go past the 2nd week of November, Weather permiting.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Residential Roofer

The temp's are important, manufacturers list the minimum temp requirements for installing their materials on their websites, but there are exceptions, such as feel like temps in comparison to actual temps.

November is a tricky month just like March, because you will find temps and precipitation types from Fall & Winter in November and Winter & Spring in March.
So one day it's 60F with a little rain and three days later it's 30F and snowing.

So during those months you should adhere strictly to the procedure of only tear off what you can put back on the same day.
Watch the weather daily, but, only concern yourself with 2 and 3 day spans.
Just because it calls for clear skies all next week today, doe's not mean it will be, especially in the winter season.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #5

We will install any time of the year as long as the temperature is a minimum of 25F AND there are a few days of sun forecasted.

We are in WI and we are still going to attempt to get 230 sq on before December.

I have found that it isn't so much the temperature but more the sun that helps seal shingles.
ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:23 AM   #6

Awesome. So long as I can get the roof covered and wait the Snow and Rain out ill be fime and above 40 deg.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smiley View Post
Awesome. So long as I can get the roof covered and wait the Snow and Rain out ill be fime and above 40 deg.
DIYer here Mr. Smiley. I did half of my roof last December when there were some nice days.......I will never do that again! Just a tough deal all the way around.......old roof is slippery with frost or snow & there's just no way to get up there and work. Having said that, the nice days in Dec. were quite comfortable, I mean, a lot easier to work in than say 95 degrees and 90% humidity.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote