Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How to choose a downspout.

I have aluminum gutters that are in fine shape but the downspouts are a wreck. Im about to get bids on replacing them. I have noticed that there appear to be different kinds and sizes. Are there any recommendations from the group with respect to the diameter, guage, or type of downspout (or anything Im missing) to look for?

gruntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:11 AM   #2

I always use the Oversized, 3" x 4" versus the smaller 2" x 3" nominal sized downspouts.

This will expel twice the volume of water, but most importantly, allows for a larger orifice for the debris to get washed through without getting clogged hanging up on the top most zip screw attaching the pipe to the drop outlet.

The drop outlet or punchout hole also needs to be sized for the proper diameter as the leader pipe for this to work properly.

Metal guage thickness is primarily irrelevant, unless the pipe is in a shadowed Northern area and is prone to freezing solid, in which case, either an open face downspout or heat tape would be an option.

Ensure that the bottom of the piping is not in a walk path to get smashed and diminish it's usefulness.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #3

I do get quite a bit of freezing up here in Boston. Because of my gutter problem I get HUGE ice stalagtites off of my house. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #4

Icicles are not only a symptom of Nature, but a side affect of inadequate R-Value of the attic insulation and an improperly balanced attic/roof ventilation system.

Photos I recently provided a link to showed the proper results of an adequately balanced ventilation system versus neighboring homes without proper ventilation at al, let alone balanced Intake and Exhaust Ventilation.

Ed
Old 09-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #5

What photos are those? Do you have a link?
Old 09-27-2008, 08:26 PM   #6

Copy/Paste from another post:

The full posted thread can be found at this link:

Smart vent vs. Inhaler vent

The pertinent post is copied below:

Ed

Fortunately for you, I am an individual who does not recommend a product without substantial in field testing, or would at least advise of the foreseeable pitfalls if I knew of any.

I started using the Smart Vent by DCI Products around 6 years ago and I have learned that when you find a product that works and performs as stated and meets all of your criteria expected, don't change.

I recently posted this link in another thread, which addresses the concerns regarding Ice Damming and Clogging at the Intake portion of the Balanced Ventilation Solution.

http://www.contractortalk.com/showth...ighlight=vents

Note, you can click on those photos to enlarge them and you can clearly see the grayish fabric filter material remaining unobstructed and you can see the results of the flowage of air through the top Shingle Vent II Ridge Vents, which obviously provides evidence of proper air movement and exhaust.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #7

I have 1 downspout running down on the right and 1 on either side of the driveway. The one on the right dumps water in my front yard and the one by the driveway bushes makes a lot of black ice in the winter. Would it possible to get rid of the spout on the right and have everything drain into the spout on the far left? I could then bury a pipe and run everything ou the sidewalk (see yellow lines)
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #8

Around here you get fined if you dump water on the street/sidewalk. And if someone slips & falls on that ice in the winter you are almost guaranteed a lawsuit

I'd get rid of the middle one on the right side of the driveway & drain to either side of the house

I had a lot of icicles too this year
A South facing well insulated & vented roof
We had a lot of snowstorms & little melting
Sun kept melting the top, and it would drip down. freezing in the wind. I had ice dams - but no leaks. Ice & water shield all the way up due to skylights (sunroom)
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #9

What guage thickness do you recommend in gutters? I have been given one quote on seamless gutters with .019 thickness - its the least expensive quote - is it because that is cheap stuff? I do live in the NE where I get alot of show and ice.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #10

.032 is the Guage of preference to be used, although many gutters are run with only .027 coil stock.

The guy with the quote of .019 does not know anything at all about proper gutter guage materials.

The .019 is what they refer to as Trim Coil, which is very light-weight and would bend and twist and smash very easily.

The hangers would wind up poking right through that beer can thickness of material.

Throw his quote in the trash can. It is not even worth considering and neither would one using .024 guage materials.

Ed
Old 09-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #11

Thanks Ed,
I went back to him and he explained that he would use .032 on the gutters and and .019 on the down spouts. Are there different gauges on downspouts as well?