How Can I Remove My Gutter / Apron With Out Pulling The First Row Of Shingels - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How can I remove my gutter / apron with out pulling the first row of shingels

I am trying to replace a section of gutter on the side of my office , standard 6/12 pitch with shingels and I went to remove the gutter to find out they are one piece with about a 4 inch or so gutter apron attached under the Ice and water barrier and shingels is there an easier way to remove this.. I thought about scoring the apron and trying to reuse the parts as a drip edge? will this work or should I do it the hard way and remove it all.

Advertisement

wamyers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamyers92 View Post
I am trying to replace a section of gutter on the side of my office , standard 6/12 pitch with shingels and I went to remove the gutter to find out they are one piece with about a 4 inch or so gutter apron attached under the Ice and water barrier and shingels is there an easier way to remove this.. I thought about scoring the apron and trying to reuse the parts as a drip edge? will this work or should I do it the hard way and remove it all.
Some comments/questions:
Where in the world are you?

You're using terminology that I don't recognize.

What's an apron?

Advice:
You wanna replace your gutter? The EASIEST way is
FIRST to figure out if your gutter is wingless, or has a wing.

If it is wingless, then you can tear off the gutter pretty easily.

I imagine it's got a wing... then you need a sawzall ... and cut off the gutter from the piece that is acting as the 'flashing' - which is the piece on your roof and the piece that then drops into the gutter.

Comments?
Attached Images

Advertisement

parkerfairfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Since you seem to have a gutter with a built in flange, apron, so to speak, and it is covered with the ice and water shield and shingles, you may want to consider a small saw with a metal cutting blade, so as not to distrupt the shingles edges extending directly above the flange of the gutter.

Parker,
A Gutter Apron is the Drip Edge Flashing, which would be a separate piece going approximately 3" under the shingles and about 3" down into the trough of the gutter. It is probably just called something different in California.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Since you seem to have a gutter with a built in flange, apron, so to speak, and it is covered with the ice and water shield and shingles, you may want to consider a small saw with a metal cutting blade, so as not to distrupt the shingles edges extending directly above the flange of the gutter.

Parker,
A Gutter Apron is the Drip Edge Flashing, which would be a separate piece going approximately 3" under the shingles and about 3" down into the trough of the gutter. It is probably just called something different in California.

Ed
Ed,
Thanks.

You're right ... in California contractors call flashing flashing (not an apron). Another difference is that due to the easy weather here flashing only goes up 1 1/2 inches under shingles, and down into the gutter 1 1/2 inches.
parkerfairfield is offline   Reply With Quote