Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #1

Share |

how to calculate

so i am thinking about the roof on the house my wife and i are buying. how do i calculate how much it will cost to replace it......the A/C heat and cool is mounted on the roof, the HI said the exposed Duct work on the roof is not insulated, i taped on it my self and yeah it seems its not insulated, but it is posible the insulation has seperated from the outer surface.

redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

how to calculate

There is no way anyone can calculate the price of the roof without knowing all the details involved. Type of roof? Height? Access for loading materials? Access for lowering debris? materials to tear off, materials to install? etc etc etc...

Your best bet is to call a few local reputable roofing contractors and offer to PAY them for their inspection services. I would charge you $160 for something like this and credit it back to you if you hired us. I do not give free estimates to property buyers since in most cases they are just looking for a little muscle to haggle with and the work isn't done for years and years later.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #3

how to calculate

First time I've ever heard of anyone other then Home Depot charging for an estimate.
Far more complicated with that A/C unit on the roof.
No one here is going to be doing any pricing on jobs.
Make the local calls.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

how to calculate

We should ALL be charging for estimates. If I could go back in time, just once, I would murder the person who first uttered the words "Free estimate". It's a complete waste of a professional's time to give away his expertise.

If I know there is very little chance I will get the job, such as in the case of a real estate transaction or a insurance claim, I charge for the estimate. Some people pay, most do not, but it's no loss when they do not because chances are likely they wouldn't have hired me anyway. I once charged $340 for an estimate on a roof on a house being sold. I also told them it was a flat fee non refundable because I really didn't want to do it, but when the buyer's broker called me a half hour later saying they agreed I perked up! They also hired us to do a few thousand in repair work. Sweet deal.

Tinner charges for ALL his estimates. I wish I had his balls. We all should take notes from him. I've been roofing for 14 years, I'm not going to give away my expertise for free. Time is money, so is gasoline.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote