How To Add Soffits - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to add soffits

I have an old 1880 house cape cod style, the second floor the half the ceiling is sloped in each room because of the pitch of the roof. There was minimal insulation blown in the attic, but when they did it they also filled the gap from the soffits to the attic. How do i go about removing the blown in insulation from the gap and then reinsulating it? Remember this gap between the rafters is only 24" and is like 7 ' long or so. Or do i not bother?

In the attic we did add more batt insulation but we still got some ice damns over the winter.

Current venting is jut two small gables on the attic. the attic itself is only about 40' x 15'.

I also plan on redoing the roof this summer. Would it be easier just to take some the boards off from the rough adding in baffles all along the cavity then adding plywood on the top?

Advertisement

bigal0043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

How to add soffits

Another thought i had was could i shim the rough? So say i take all the old shingles off and add like a 1" or 2" shim from the soffit to the ridge over every joist, cutting a hole into the soffit and into the attic. Then add plywood to the top of the shims, This would leave a 1 or 2 inch gap for air to move under the shingles without having to mess with the insulation. Would this work?

Advertisement

bigal0043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

How to add soffits

If you're doing the roof, I have dome exactly this myself... I have insulated the angled ceiling on Cape Cod style homes by removing the roof decking (sheathing) over the angled part, removing the insulation on the ceiling, using closed cell spray foam insulation on said ceiling since you can get great R-value from closed cell spray foam, and continuing with the roofing process.

You would need 2x6 rafters or better in order to attain the necessary insulation while still leaving an in or so gap for under the roof deck ventilation.

You should be able to set this up relatively inexpensively through a spray foam insulator if all he has to do is show up, heat the materials he is using, and spray. I do my own, but only because I have spray foam equipment.

Hope this helps.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote