House Wrap/Siding Question - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

House Wrap/Siding Question

Hi.
I'm building a shed and have wrapped it with Typar. Next step will be installing the siding and I'm wondering about how to deal with the holes that will be punctured through.
I'm not positive what I'll be using for siding yet, but no matter what it is, I'll have the same issue.
Thanks

Advertisement

416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,210

Why would you put Typar on a shed?? Is it going to be heated/cooled?

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Why would you put Typar on a shed?? Is it going to be heated/cooled?
Yes it is.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #4

Perhaps it would be better described as a backyard office.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 150

it doesnt matter if its heated or cooled, you still need a weather barrier over hte sheathing
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #6

Well...I've got the sheathing up and the weather barrier....now, what about those holes created in putting up the cladding? All I can think to do is line up thin strips of wood on top of the weather barrier, caulk the little strips of wood and screw them through to the studs.
Is this what people do? Or do most just not give it any thought. This was seems pretty fussy.
Cheers.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 150

dont worry about it.. the only time its really a concern is when your putting holes through metal cap flashings over windows and doors.. for this reason its why i use blueskin or vycor over the nailing flanges first then the cap flashing goes on while back caulked then another strip of blueskin goes over the cap flashing to cover those nails.. any other nail holes are seals by the self sealing action of the blueskin.

you cant use regulur blueskin over the entire wall surface of a wood framed wall because its doesnt breath like housewrap does.. if you do the wall will rot out from the inside
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk
dont worry about it.. the only time its really a concern is when your putting holes through metal cap flashings over windows and doors.. for this reason its why i use blueskin or vycor over the nailing flanges first then the cap flashing goes on while back caulked then another strip of blueskin goes over the cap flashing to cover those nails.. any other nail holes are seals by the self sealing action of the blueskin.

you cant use regulur blueskin over the entire wall surface of a wood framed wall because its doesnt breath like housewrap does.. if you do the wall will rot out from the inside
Thanks for the reply.
So...I suppose that the amount of moisture that may make its way through (very small I'd imagine) Isn't significant enough to worry about?

Advertisement