Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #1

Share |

house wrap question

I get different opinions on this subject and was curious what you guys think of using a fanfold insulation over house wrap? Would this create a double vapor barrier even though house wrap is not considered one?

detroittigerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #2

house wrap question

In some places it's acceptable.
We usually try to put the house-wrap outside.

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rossfingal For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

house wrap question

Its fine in a majority of the cases.

We put the housewrap to the outermost layer as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #4

house wrap question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Its fine in a majority of the cases.

We put the housewrap to the outermost layer as well.
So, then you just cut fanfold for the opening for windows, etc. and then house wrap over that and integrated into the flashing? If I install fanfold over house wrap since house wrap is already there do all the vinyl siding trim pieces go over the fan fold or can it be tucked into the j trim and corner posts and just above the starter strip?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Roofmaster

house wrap question

Assuming you mean 1/4 inch extruded fanfold, you are increasing your R Value 1.25 Is this really worth it?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #6

house wrap question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Assuming you mean 1/4 inch extruded fanfold, you are increasing your R Value 1.25 Is this really worth it?
Can you please answer my last post?
Old 10-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Roofmaster

house wrap question

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroittigerfan View Post
Can you please answer my last post?
Ill try. Your trim pieces are sized to accept your siding, not the siding and the fan fold, so I would say to put the trim pieces over the fan-fold if you do it that way. You may want to rip and place a PT wood or PVC nailer around openings, the wrap them with peel and stick so you have better nailing for your channels around openings, and butt your fan fold up to the nailers.

Joe C and Eric will probably chime in here, but thats what I would do. I would not nail through the fan-fold.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #8

house wrap question

Quote:
Ill try. Your trim pieces are sized to accept your siding, not the siding and the fan fold, so I would say to put the trim pieces over the fan-fold if you do it that way. You may want to rip and place a PT wood or PVC nailer around openings, the wrap them with peel and stick so you have better nailing for your channels around openings, and butt your fan fold up to the nailers.

Joe C and Eric will probably chime in here, but thats what I would do. I would not nail through the fan-fold.
the 1/4" fanfold and the vinyl siding can fit in a j channel. What do you mean use a furring strip around openings?
Old 10-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #9

house wrap question

Quote:

The window is already installed though and has integrated channels for the siding.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
Exterior Construction

house wrap question

Most of the J-channels out there should have enough clearance for the fan fold.

Most fan folds are more applicable for surface leveling than they are insulation.

Jagans is right though that you need to check the fitment with an integrated J-channel.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #11

house wrap question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Most of the J-channels out there should have enough clearance for the fan fold.

Most fan folds are more applicable for surface leveling than they are insulation.

Jagans is right though that you need to check the fitment with an integrated J-channel.
Check the fitment?
Old 10-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
Exterior Construction

house wrap question

Depth of the combo so it will fit into the window J.