Hot Attic - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2006, 03:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Hot Attic

I have a Home that was re-roofed 2 years ago. Ridgeventing is in place but it is Still really Hot in there. There Are no Soffet vents as there's no Overhang (gutters would block them) What can be done to try to cool it down in the attic. The ptoblem is the fact that the Home is a Split level and the rooms on the front of the house have about 6' of Sloped ceiling (insulated but not vented) There's no moisture problems, and when the roof was re done I had them install 3 "rows" of Ice & Water barrier up from the eave line......

Advertisement

mdlbldrmatt135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hot Attic

Install an attic fan-gable fan...

without any soffit vents the ridge vents have little means to circulate the air.

Advertisement

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Arrow

Hot Attic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlbldrmatt135
I have a Home that was re-roofed 2 years ago. Ridgeventing is in place but it is Still really Hot in there. There Are no Soffet vents as there's no Overhang (gutters would block them) What can be done to try to cool it down in the attic. The ptoblem is the fact that the Home is a Split level and the rooms on the front of the house have about 6' of Sloped ceiling (insulated but not vented) There's no moisture problems, and when the roof was re done I had them install 3 "rows" of Ice & Water barrier up from the eave line......
Similar situation: ridge vent but no soffit vents. However, a roof-mounted exhaust is also in place, but I'm beginning to think it's not serving its purpose. There are gables at each end of the attic with open & non-moving louvers. Would I be better off having fans at those? Should I exhaust air or draw outside air in?
oakmontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Hot Attic

I'm contemplating using a fan at each Gable now one drawing in and one blowing out
mdlbldrmatt135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:46 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 258

Hot Attic

I'd like to see a Roofing Pro chime in - but I would think that if you have Ridge vents already installed - you would want the Gables to blow in ?
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hot Attic

The gable fans that I have installed usually blow (push) the air out of the roof area.

If you have two or more gable vents, then the best spot to put it in is on the hotter side of the house. You want the fan to draw in air that is cooler, if possible. The fan should pull air in from the other gable vents that are on the cooler side of the house.

Advertisement

redline is offline   Reply With Quote