Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2007, 12:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Home Owners! What Do You Want To See In.....

What Information Would You Like To See In A Roofing Contractors Website?

Yes, this grey beard is attempting to join the technology sector.

I have studied many, many other roofing contractors websites, and find most of them to be so generic and lacking of truly valuable information.

Maybe because I always want to do more research and investigation myself, I feel that a knowledgeable consumer would like to find out significant technical information prior to making a roofing investment.

Some say to KISS, (Keep It Simple and Stupid), while I personally feel that is short-changing the consumer.

Therefor, how much is too much information?

What information would you deem to be a necessity?

Would an embedded link to a personal roofing and guttering site forum, similar to this one and ContractorTalk.com be useful, so clients and prospective customers could post regionally specific questions about local commonly accepted installation practices?

Do you like to have links to outside resources and articles to expand your expertice to enable the most prudent roofing system choices?

Or; Would you be better served if I had those articles and linked information on a seperate article and referance page contained within my website?

Do you prefer that the expert remain the expert, while you just accept the advice given, without significant details added in for content?

Many of you have provided a vast learning experience and furthered my own quest for additional understanding on all things roofing, ventilation, and flashings, by asking various questions that would not have immediately sunk in because I have many years of experience. Thank You for allowing me to expand my knowledge and grow and mature in personal and business relations.

Now, please point out what I should be directing my efforts towards.

Thanks,

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:16 AM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 12

The good: I'd like to see what goes into a roofing job. What are the layers and what do they do. Why is venting important, etc. Basically an anatomy of a roof.
The bad: What goes into a bad roofing job and things to look out for. Docfletcher pretty much chronicled that for you already. What is the potential for failure by an improperly placed nail.
Finally, a little marketing, what makes your company better than others.
Good luck

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 09-25-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Clutchcargo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:21 AM   #3

If I was looking at a roofers site, I think the first thing I'd want to see is plenty of pictures of your previous work. Then perhaps a folder of roofing mistakes that you run into or are called to correct. This would help to show what and why it needs to be corrected.

Look at it from a homeowners perspective. They want Champagne on a beer budget. You need to educate them why you can provide the high level of performance, but it's not free or cheap. And here are some examples of where some contractors will take a short cut....and you won't.

Part of the education is a sales presentation for why you're different and they should hire you.

I'll give you two examples of how I was pitched for my roof a few years ago.

One good ol boy showed up, looked at the job and proceeded to show me a scrap book of pictures. Great, except for the pictures were all of his siding work with the afterthought of "oh, I did their roof as well" but no pictures! WTF? Two days later I get a phone call with a verbal estimate.

The second guy was more professional, gave me a written estimate that was somewhat vaugue on what exactly was going to be done (no numbers, just "replace underlayment, replace flashing" vs. Replace 162 linear ft of flashing, replace with ShingleMate underlayment) but at least it was on paper. He, however, took the liberty of climbing on my roof when I wasn't home and took the measurements even though we had an appointment for the next day. That was totally unacceptable. I have things on this property that are dangerous and I don't want people roaming around unsupervised. I appreciate his ambition to be prepared, but not if it means trespassing.

So, if I was looking to hire you, a website educating me to what you'll be doing, how you do it and WHY would make me much more inclined to spend my money with you and your company. I hope this post helps.

Thanks

Tony
FatAugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
Docfletcher pretty much chronicled that for you already.
I presume Doc must have ben one of the two deleted posts so far. It sounds as if he might have offered good advice, so I wonder why he removed the post.

So pictures of our good jobs and other guys bad mistakes is a top vote getter.

Roof Anatomy.

Ventilation Information.

Ed
Old 09-25-2007, 07:23 PM   #5

Ed, Well, I sorta went off on a tangent. It was very off topic. I was venting big time. When finished I thought it a bit to personal, to much of me in it. So I decided to ditch the post. TRG saw it before I could get rid of it though.

I only remember deleting one post.

Of all the things I lost I miss my mind the most!
Docfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
I have gas!

FWIW, Docs posts of his roofing job was perfect timing for my small portico roofing job. I learned a lot from Docs misadventure.
I guess my point is that you learn as much from what goes into a bad roof as what goes into a good roof.

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 09-25-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:47 PM   #7

Doc,

Would you like to post a calmer edited version of your deleted post if it was as informative as I think it was.

Ed
Old 09-25-2007, 08:54 PM   #8

How about pro's and con's of certain materials. Why you cannot cut corners on certain parts but on other parts you can
jlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:53 PM   #9
I have gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo
Docfletcher pretty much chronicled that for you already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
I presume Doc must have ben one of the two deleted posts so far.
Ed

Wait, I just reread... no disrespect towards Doc, if that's what happened. I meant his posts were very well documented as to what not to do.
I'm just not big on using the smilies.

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 09-26-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:03 AM   #10

Actually, I deleted the other post. I misread your call to arms.

I thought you were asking what would a DIY'er seek in a website, not a potential customer. So I spent quite a bit of time crafting all the things I would have (and did) ask about if I was going to do my own roof.

After I posted it, I re-read yours and realized woops, wrong topic.
FatAugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:50 AM   #11
I have gas!

Another thing, good pictures. Many contractor's sites have pictures where you cannot see the detail.
Maybe a section like, "how do you know if you need a new roof." Can you get away with just a patch.
I don't know, just brainstorming.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:11 AM   #12

I don't care how obscure your ideas may initially seem to be, because if you thought of it, someone else has wondered about it too.

So far I like the feedbavk very much.

Thank you for sharing and continue to do so.

Ed
Old 09-26-2007, 11:16 AM   #13

I agree with all the previous - what a roof is composed of, your work, and what bad roofers (or contractors posing as roofers, seen that, didn't turn out well) do.

Personally, because I'm looking into it now, I'd be interested in knowing the various roof types available (shingles, slate, the cement-based slate alternative), how these choices effect costs (labor due to weight, etc), and maybe - if you've run into it at all - any info about solar shingles/tiles , how you'd work with the solar contractor, etc
CuCullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #14

Here's a perspective of primarily a DIYer, but one who will always first consider checking for a pro. I.E. some jobs have a real tight timeframe or require special equipment.

Things that I would chalk off as positives (not necessarily in order of priority)
1. It gotta be organized very clearly. Divided into logical sections, not piling everything up.
2. As mentioned, you should have a detailed description of your process, including materials used. You are not a restaurant chef - you are a roofer. Customers aren't gonna want some 'secret sauce' - they want industry standard.
3. Provide real good reasons for a potential DIYer to hire you instead. This means that pictures of 'before', 'after', and in between a closeup of you on a roof with a nailer won't cut it. I'd make something like a 'every 10 minutes' gallery of a job. Take care to include expensive specialized equipment in the shots. Like a crane you use to lift shingles to roof, lightweight aluminum staging, high-end lasers, a 10' brake - all the gear that lets you roll in at 7am and have the roof either complete or at least with water barrier down by 4pm - so that homeowner is not faced with a prospect of spending the night with a tarp for a roof.
4. Remember, web is an living, breathing medium. A website that apparently was not updated for 3 years looks dead. Take care to keep it up to date - include aforementioned highlights on interesting jobs, have a regularly updated gallery of problems you had to fix. A good thing is to allow visitors to post comments and questions about those (be sure to address those)
5. Budget primers. A lot of people want to know the ballpark for their roof cost beforehand. Document a few diverse cases: roof size, pitch, complexity, materials used - and how much each case cost - prefferably with an explanation of what costs what. So that a visitor might find a roof similar to his and get some idea.
6. Roof problems, warning signs, and their cost evolution. I.E. - an early warning sign, the usual cost to fix, followed by consequences of ignoring that sign and cost to fix THOSE.
7. This is a website, not a yellow pages ad. People who learning about you via web are probably more at home using Internet forms of communication. Meaning that sticking up a phone number or 'email me your phone number' is not a good idea. If a person makes initial contact via email, and does not specifically ask you to call - it is a rather good indication that email is his preffered method. I dunno about others, but I personally am not too keen on getting phone calls - and having to discuss my home improvement agenda - when I am at work. Do yourself a huge favor and if you don't have one, get yourself a BlackBerry - so email inquiries sent to your site can reach you immediately - and so that you can sens a quick response.
8. Wanna go one step further: Put up a calendar, showing your availability. Meaning if I need my roof redone within a week, I can see that you, in fact', have an opening before wasting your time or mine.
scorrpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #15

Scorpio,

Thank you for the extremely detailed response and ideas. I can tell that you put a lot of thought into your suggestions layed out and the reasoning for them.

Everyones suggestions will be strongly considered and passed on to the web designer for their input as well.

Do you have any favorite, really detailed other contractors websites you have viewed which could provide a template to emulate?

Ed