Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #1

Share |

home inspection with rissue re roofing and possible denial of isurance coverage

I have a garage that I do not use for my car at all..I use it only to store things for yard due to its age and it also needs new shingles..but because of my limited income and being on disability I am unable to afford a new roof on it..and besides the building is old so putting on new rood would be stupid. Insurance company did an inspection on it for renewal and sited it as a hazard due to old roof..said nothing about the building itself! now they will not renew policy for home unless roof is new...it has been like this for years..now all of a sudden they need a new roof on an old building to renew my policy..if not...no insurance coverage will occur. Here's my question..what sense does a new roof make for an old garage that is detached and mainly a storage place..and are these inspections reported anywhere for ALL insurance companies to see ? If I choose to find another company,will they be able to see the inspection notes this company made and also refuse coverage on my home?

msbnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #2

Ask them if they could exclude the outbuilding on the policy.
If not I'd be calling a differant company.
Have you had a lot of claims in the past, sometime they will look for an excuse to drop you if you have.

We had a hurricane come through and it distroyed the roof, flooded under the house and took out the heating system, and dropped a limb through the cars roof.
A week later we hit a deer with the car.
We had never had a claim in 30 years and it had not flooded in that area in the past 100 years but they dropped us for to many claims within a year.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #3

Have never had ANY claims on my house..it is 50+ y/o. I already asked my agent to exclude detached garage...here was his answer
"
The problem is you can still be in the garage if it falls and have a liability claim. Allstate
and other companies use the same rules for coverage because they want to avoid
a claim that could have been prevented. "
I take no one into my garage....only myself..I have health insurance if anything would happen to me re bodily injury..and I think Allstate is being a little picky here..esp with no other claims ever made...I need to know next tactic to try (have already considered switching companies..but before doing that wonder if all inspectors share info with ALL insurance carriers...therein lies my issue re switching to a different company ..any info that is known on this would be great!! Thanks!!
msbnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
RFN-4A-LVN

Look at it this way.If the building fell and crushed someone (By chance) or was damaged during a storm would you take it on the cheek and not file a claim ?

They are insuring you regardless if you want exclusions.They are putting up their capital in the event you have a problem.

If the building and or roof is in bad shape why not fix it to add to your curb appeal ? Besides if you install a new roof not only will your personal property be protected but you can maintain coverage by your current insurer.

Lots of plus's of having a history with an insurance provider after all insurance is for those "Just in case" situations.

If a liability is present its in their best interest to eliminate that liability.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 05-04-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Pro Slate Roofer

The Ins. Co. considers all your property. The garage represents an unsafe condition to them. To their eyes, and even your policy, it's no different than having an uncapped well in your yard. You might not be using it, buy it's an unsafe condition that leaves you and them open to liability.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #6

You probably only have two choices. Either put on a new roof, or tear down the building.
Marty1Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
We had never had a claim in 30 years and it had not flooded in that area in the past 100 years but they dropped us for to many claims within a year.
This is the only industry I know if that can get away with this kind of crap... Complete scam, and they're all criminal enterprises IMO...
pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucks101

This is the only industry I know if that can get away with this kind of crap... Complete scam, and they're all criminal enterprises IMO...
I second that!!!

sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote