Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hole in roof

I am trying to figure out what i have to do to fix a hole (about 1") in the roof of my garage. I'm not sure how long its been there and it looks like some of the wood around the hole is rotted. It looks like it was pierce by a tree branch at some point, I can see through the hole to the outside. Because of the position of my garage I haven't been able to see how many shingles are affected.

I understand i will have to replace some shingles and tar paper, but I'm not sure about the wood and how much i will have to replace to make sure it doesnt cause more damage. I have never fixed a roof before so any advice will be helpful

erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Hole in roof

Cut the sheathing (wood) back to the center of each adjoining rafter and patch in a new piece.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #3

Hole in roof

The shingles from that area will need to be carefully removed and then re-installed also.

But, for sure you have to go from rafter to rafter width wise and I would suggest a "Minimum" of a 2 foot height in the sheathing to be replaced, but preferably a 4 foot height sheet to correspond with the original decking.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #4

Hole in roof

A 1" (inch) hole??? I would pull the one or two shingles affected, screw a 6" piece of flashing over the hole, over the new felt paper, add the new shingles. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #5

Hole in roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
A 1" (inch) hole??? I would pull the one or two shingles affected, screw a 6" piece of flashing over the hole, over the new felt paper, add the new shingles. Be safe, G
I ran into this situation last week and usually a piece of flashing metal over the hole would be fine, however, you need to beware of any rotten plywood or boards surrounding that hole as you may have no good wood to nail to! It is always better to err on the side of precaution and cut a larger patch of wood to be safe, that way you wont run into the same problem again next year. It is a simple job and any roofer could fix it in no time at all
kangaroofer is offline   Reply With Quote