DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Hiring a roofer - Licensed? Insured?

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  troubleseeker 
#1 ·
I'm starting to consider hiring someone to do our roof, and I wonder what the important considerations for licensing and insurance are.

In general I'd like to work with a licensed professional. I don't like messing around with craigslist odd-jobbers. However, I know a smart guy who works for a construction company, and he's been doing roof jobs on the weekends with one of the other guys on his crew. I'm confident that he knows what he's doing and I know I'll be dealing with an intelligent, reliable guy. That is important to me. He would also probably cost a bit less than a full-time roofer.

However, he's not licensed or insured. What are the disadvantages (to me) of having him do the job?

#2 ·
Insurance:
Workers Comp is very high on roofing ( right next to Komakazi pilots).
People can get hurt and silly things happen.
You will be Liable for the Hospital, nursing home, lost wages, career re-education, etc.

What is that risk worth you.

Liability Insurance:
FREAK STORM HITS. Blows off all the felt and the interior of your house is flooded.

What is that hassle worth to you.

Lisc.:

If you are in an area that requires permits. You would need to go take a test, lie to the building dept that you are doing the work yourself. Call in for all required inspections. Or do it with out a permit; risk fines/ tear it off so the inspector can see that the sheathing has been re-nailed to current code. Who is going to pay for that?

A Lisc does not mean competency, but is a good indicator.

Get refferals from your neighbors or your insurance agent.

You could hire this guy and his buddy, is the savings worth the risk?

#3 · (Edited)
However, he's not licensed or insured. What are the disadvantages (to me) of having him do the job?

Duhhhh !!!!!
Roofing work is some of the most dangerous work on the planet and to think that a walkable pitch roof would not present any liability or risk is insane. Why don't you just hand over the title of your house to the side job guys who can not afford proper insurance.

Check for a certificate of Workmans Insurance coverage with a minimum of $500,000.00 to $1,000,000.00. Hospital bills add up quickly for something as simple as a dislocated shoulder or a broken hip.

Make sure that the other workers are employees and not subcontractors.

Why? Because if they are temp or casual/day labor workers and being 1099'd and classified as subcontractors, they must then have their own insurance. Contact the insurance company to verify if the policy is legitimate and does NOT EXCLUDE the owner of the business if he is also going to be working on your home.

Get listed as additional insured on the insurance policy for the duration of your project.

Liability insurance should cover a minimum of $ 1,000.00 for any potential property damage.

Weekend warriors may not complete the job on a timely basis. What if inclement weather is headed your way. How many weeks or possibly even months do you want the duration of your project to drag on for?

What formal certfications do they have to ensure that the roofing project meets th "MINIMUM" specifications from the manufacturer and from the building code department.

Even most so-called professional roofing contractors do not meet the minimum ventilation requirements, which include a proper balance of fresh air intake ventilation and an equal amount of NFA for attic exhaust ventyilation to expell not only the internal heat, but the moisture and humidity content contaned within, which creates a breeding ground for mold growth and decking deformation due to delamination or swelling from moisture absorption.

Most roofs fail or begin to show signs of needing to be replaced within 12 to 15 years, instead of the typical 30 year life expectency if it were installed correctly.

Do you have an awful lot of money to throw away?

Those are the only people I can perceive to be able to afford to have a 30 year product installed incorrectly and have to pay to have it re-done in a short period of time.

Ed

#4 ·
Never hire a framer to do a roof. We have fixed plenty of them.

You don't go to the vet to get your tonsils removed, just because it's cheaper or you know the guy, do you?

I am a Licensed Contractor and I hired someone to pour cement at my house. Why???Because they know what they are doing. Sure I could have handled it with a few friends, but it easily could have been alot of money wasted. It's best to stick with what you know.

If that was being done in our state, it would be illegal and enforcement action would be taken. A person can't legally do "side work" roofing in MN.

#11 ·
The state of Maine does not have a licensed roofing contractor, or any contractor licensing requirements except for plumbing, electrical.
as far as finding a roofing contractor to do your work up here...
there are a lot of large crews that can do a good sized job in one day.
Why put yourself thru the anxiety of a long drawn out project in this sort of weather pattern.....one day...in and out.
Hope this helps
David

#13 · (Edited)
No matter how skilled a roofer he is...Sh.t happens. and you can bet if he or his helper gets hurt, they will be looking to reach into your pockets. The rate for workmen's comp on roofing is very high as mentioned, can you figure out why?.....lots of injuries. The last trade you want to deal with "side job" status on IMO.
Whenever we are dealing with a new sub, we always have his insurance company fax a copy of his coverage directly to us. Do not just accept a copy of something he brings you. If you can counterfit perfect money with modern computer equipment, how much stock can you put in something as simple as a paper document?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.