Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #1

Share |

hip roof vent

I am installing [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]vinyl [COLOR=blue ! important]siding[/color][/color][/color] and currently putting up soffit and facia on the south facing 1st floor front bedroom area. The room extends from the front of the house and has a hip [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]roof[/color][/color] with no roof vents. I am installing vented soffits and want to provide some roof ventilation as this room is warmer than it should be in the summer. I am thinking about installing ridge type roof vents at the highest point on the roof on the flat part just below the 2nd story windows. This area is 14 feet long. There is about 40 feet of vented soffit. Since this part of the house faces the street, I want this to be some what esthetic. I believe the ridge roof vents can be installed and still keep an appealing front view of the house. Any comments or suggestions on a better way? Drawing is attached. Dashed lines represent the ridge type roof vent.
Attached Thumbnails
hip roof vent-hip-roof-vent-1.jpg  

pinkertonpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:07 PM   #2

hip roof vent

Smart Vent from DCI Products and AirVent.com both make a roof to wall vent product.

The smart Vent was easier and more aesthetically appealing to work with.

Do an advanced Search under my User Name and search the key words, Hip Vent and you will find a link to what I used for venting the Hips of a roof.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #3

hip roof vent

Ed, thanks for your input. I guess I don't understand the use of the smart vents as I currently do not have any place for the vents to exhaust thru. I need to have a vent at the top of the roof section for the hotter air to vent thru. My idea was to provide a ridge vent along the highest point of the roof just below the window. Could the smart vent work turned 180 degrees from the way it would attach to the eaves? It might still suseptible to rain. Am I getting what you meant?
pinkertonpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #4

hip roof vent

It goes on the roof, just like the diagram in this link:

http://www.dciproducts.com/html/shedroof.htm

Then, you also have to add a sheet metal Roof-To-Wall Apron flashing to cover the ventilation product.

I also have pictures somewhere on the net that show that installation method, so if I remember which forum I posted them in, I will provide a link for you.

Ed
Old 10-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #5

hip roof vent

Here is one thread I found for the Hip Venting portion of your question.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/how-properly-vent-hip-roof-21574/#post127430

No installation photos, but after job completion photos to show it functioning.

Ed
Old 10-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #6

hip roof vent

Here is the link to the roof-to-wall vent application using the Smart Vent product from DCI Products.

Smart Vent installed against a wall for exhaust ventilation

Ed
Old 10-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
the Musigician

hip roof vent

now Ed, you know they can't search hip vent. no 3 letter words, remember? Po)

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #8

hip roof vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdangermouseM View Post
now Ed, you know they can't search hip vent. no 3 letter words, remember? Po)

DM
If you were referring to searching just the word "Hip", then on this site and most forums you would be correct, but when you add the word Vent to the search phrase making it, Hip Vent, then it no longer is a 3 letter search.

Also, to be able to do a 3 letter search on this or other forums, do the following:

If you've ever tried to search for something here where the search term is only 3 characters, you'll find you can't search anything.

Workaround:

Go to google.com

type the search terms you are looking for as usual and then type

site:diychatroom.com hip

Google will then search ONLY our beloved forum and spew forth the results.

Ed
Old 10-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
the Musigician

hip roof vent

weird... i did one for cold air return vent height and it said The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: air and said to retry search. and showed me nothing. now it shows that thread... so my bad, sorry. and thanks for that great tip!

DM
Old 10-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #10

hip roof vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdangermouseM View Post
weird... i did one for cold air return vent height and it said The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: air and said to retry search. and showed me nothing. now it shows that thread... so my bad, sorry. and thanks for that great tip!

DM
Just shange the name of the site and the Dot Suffix and it will work on any site.

Also, if you know who posted something, you can do a similar search under that Users Name.

Example:

Ed The Roofer, "Hip Vent"

Ed
Old 10-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #11
the Musigician

hip roof vent

cool! hey, check out the fun day i had... Building a secret compartment #14 and 15 at the bottom of the page.

DM