Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

hints tracing leak

Hi,
It finally rained, and now we discovered we have a leak. The leak is in the wall that separates a vaulted ceiling area to a 8ft ceiling room. The room was an option by the builder, so this room has no access to the rafters above.

The vaulted ceiling has very limited access as well....Ive never been up in the main attic but we built the home so the space gets really cramped.

From the ground the roof looks fine, and has a gully or trough in that area....two roof lines coming together.

Any hints on how to trace this leak? I've filed a clain since the area where I found the leak was in the mid-wall where the paint was bubbling. I sliced the paint and out came a tablespoon of water. The drywall was soft for 2 ft below and about a 6 inch strip.

Thanks.

kree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,990

hints tracing leak

Post a picture of the roof.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #3

hints tracing leak

Well the insurance adjuster came over and said the roof looked really good..so good, that without ANY obvious penetration of water, it "must have" been blown in or forced rain water somehow....so I am NOT covered by Farmers Insurance...yeah! :-/

It is a mystery to me...both rooms have trey ceilings...no other signs of water other than at the base of the arch (red dot). No pipes in the wall, roof looks good...water had to run through beefy header...and it was enough water to soak a strip of drywall 6" w x 24" long. The screws look a bit rusty...and there may be mold...so maybe this has been going on for sometime behind the paint???

The leak is at the junction of the arch and the vertical, under the 6" wide arch towards the side with the lower ceiling.

2 pictures from the shorter ceiling side, one from the taller ceiling side. And one of the roof...you can see from the interior shot the roof vent for some comparison.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
hints tracing leak-leak2.jpg   hints tracing leak-leak3.jpg   hints tracing leak-leak4.jpg   hints tracing leak-rook5.jpg  

Last edited by kree; 08-29-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #4

hints tracing leak

One last picture...
Attached Thumbnails
hints tracing leak-wallopen.jpg  
Old 08-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #5

hints tracing leak

Hard to really see but from where I'm sitting around that silver vent pipe looks like it was shingled wrong.
There should be metal showing at the bottom. In other words the bottom part of the roof jack should have been sitting on top of the shingles, not under them.
Sort of like this.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...1B993&first=71

Last edited by joecaption; 08-29-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:52 AM   #6

hints tracing leak

Not sure if you meant "silver" from the inside picture or from the roof picture...

The tall skinny vent is for my furnace....pretty far from where the leak is.

You meant the tall skinny vent....I'll have to get someone out to inspect...or get a better picture on here.

The kid-insurance adjuster said that there was some cauliking that could be redone around it...but it looked okay.

It just seems like a long way for water to travel....unless water is running UNDER the shingles until it penetrate under the shingles closer to the room where the leak was....can that happen?

Thanks!

Last edited by kree; 08-29-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #7

hints tracing leak

All vents are installed the same as the picture I posted no matter what size or shape they are.
Only time I allow one to be shingled completly around is if someones to cheap to pay for new vents and the roof is being shingled over the old roof.
Any real roofer should be able to find the leak fast.
There's going to be checking to see if they flashed that valley at least 12" on each side, make sure there's no nails within 6" of the valley. No exposed nails, cracked ridge caps, ECT.

Last edited by joecaption; 08-29-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 508

hints tracing leak

I realy can't figure out the inside to outside shots and their relationships for certain but, one area that concerns me is the short section of gutter that drains onto the roof below it. There is a lot of water being dumped into that area. Is the step flashing at the junction of that roof and wall in proper order? Again not sure where the inside leak is in comparison to that area. I see several areas to look at: all of the roof penetrations, The valley (common failure point) and the sidewall along the roof (flashing)
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #9
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,186

hints tracing leak

Hard to tell for sure from the picture but it does look like the roofing is installed wrong around the vents, especially the upper one.

Vents aside I’d be taking a close look where the two roof intersect at the bottom of the valley. It wouldn’t surprise me a bit if you look up in there and see exposed sheathing.

Pretty easy to figure this out with a hose test.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-29-2012 at 07:24 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote