Hi-wind Roofing Alternatives - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hi-wind Roofing alternatives

I've got a house that was built in 1986 and it's a typical subdivision with vinyl siding and regular 3-tab asphalt shingles. It's a 2 story and the peak of the roof runs North to South. So that means that one side of the house faces the West, and for some reason we get very strong wind gust from that direction. I've observed my neighbors and everyone else that has a West facing roof has missing shingles. This area isn't known for high wind issues, but something is clearly going on here.

I also have a huge problem with missing shingles. The 1-story garage has original roofing and was missing 19 tabs from a storm that blew through on Wednesday. Among those that were broken were brand news ones that were installed in a patch job less than 6 months ago. I also had to repair several spots on the main roof that supposedly were replace in 2005. Clearly I need an upgrade.

Architectural shingles appear to be the way to go. However, I can't find any neighbors with West facing roofs and architectural shingles to know if they will indeed withstand the wind here.

I prefer to do things differently and don't mind looking at alternative roofing materials. Unfortunately, doing something drastically different, like a metal roof, might make my property value go down because it would be so different from the other cookie cutter houses.

Any thoughts on absolute windproof roofing? Price is an issue as we just bought the house a year ago and have significant credit card debt because of things just like this!

Advertisement

Colchicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

most new high grade shingles today will do what you need them to do as long as they are installed properly.I have a hard time believing a properly installed concealed fastener standing seam roof is going to reduce the value of your home

Advertisement

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

OC Duration and Elk/GAF Capstone have wind ratings in excess of 100 mph if storm nailed using 6 instead of 4 nails per shingle.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

Quality of the roofing contractors installment can't be stressed enough.

I do a lot of new construction work in developments such as yours and we use OC, GAF/Elk, Tamko, Certainteed, IKO and Atlas in both standard 3-tabs and architectural designed styles and we do so with quality results.

Many roofers 'in my area most' offer free estimates,
call several and spend a lot of time deciding who you feel most comfortable with, than choose your roofing system with your contractors assistance.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:58 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

I`m always fixing blow-offs on new houses,The shingles simply aren`t nailed properly in most cases,The architectural shingles would help (gaf/elk lifetime rated at 110 mph),But if they`re poorly nailed,They`ll blow off just as fast

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Apparently the email notifications aren't reliable, I didn't know you all had replied until just now. Thanks for all your info. I've got some searches to do with what you gave me. I'll definitely keep this info on hand when I decide.
Colchicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:28 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colchicine View Post
Apparently the email notifications aren't reliable, I didn't know you all had replied until just now. Thanks for all your info. I've got some searches to do with what you gave me. I'll definitely keep this info on hand when I decide.
They are very reliable.

You might have your function set to get notified once per week.

You also have instant notification and daily notification options available.

Go into your user CP, Control Panel and find the setting and re-set it to what you want.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

That`s what I thought too ,Ed

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038

You got some good answers there. A standing seam metal roof tends to increase the value of homes.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
Commercial Roofing

I find that in most new construction projects the need for speed negates the quality factor, leaving much of the roofing poorly installed. Blow-throughs, high nailing, etc let many roofs in new subdivisions blow away like dust in the wind. Funny that those contractors do too.

Advertisement

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote