Help With Securing Sheathing - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

help with securing sheathing

Good day all - I hope I can solicit good advice from you today. I am building a patio cover and am at the roofing stage. I would like to know what is the standard fastener used (nails) to attach the sheathing to the rafters?

FYI...I went to home improvement retailer and the associate working in the roofing section handed me 1" roofing nails when I inquired about nailing the sheathing to the rafters. This just did not seem right, but he insisted it was. I assume the 1" roofing nails are for the shingles, right?

Advertisement

workinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinhard View Post
Good day all - I hope I can solicit good advice from you today. I am building a patio cover and am at the roofing stage. I would like to know what is the standard fastener used (nails) to attach the sheathing to the rafters?

FYI...I went to home improvement retailer and the associate working in the roofing section handed me 1" roofing nails when I inquired about nailing the sheathing to the rafters. This just did not seem right, but he insisted it was. I assume the 1" roofing nails are for the shingles, right?
No, on the roofing nails.

8D galv nails.

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #3

thanks for the quick reply, what lenght nail?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

8d's are 2-1/2 inches. Use galvanized since it is outdoor. Always use 1-1/4 roofing nails for shingles. 1 inch is not enough to hold shingles, especially on dimensional shingles.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

plus, the 1" roofing nails are hard to hold and nail without smacking your fingers ...
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #6

Thank you very much for your help! very much appreciated

Advertisement