Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

help with roof vents

I am new at this , with that said i need some help, I am having a roof put on the house, and one roofer said I need a roof vent rigde and the said I need can vents, what works better, or is it the size or shape of the house. the house is a ranch 12-14 sq ft. three bedroom brick. can soom one give me a good answer? thank you for your help.

chevy71@wowway. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #2

help with roof vents

The "Proper" type of Ridge Vent works much better than any of the "Can" vents.

If your home is a Gable style, which it probably is, with a long continuous ridge line at the peak of the home, then the amount of Can vents you would need to equal out the amount of NFVA, Net Free Ventilation Area. would seem almost ludicrous.

For general comparisons, if you have about 40 feet of ridge line, you would need just under 16 of the metal static air mushroom vents, (Pot vents, Turtle vents, etc...)

Equally, if not more important than the Exhaust Ventilation, is that you have an Balanced amount of Intake Ventilation to properly allow the flowage of air to go through the attic and create a washing and cleansing effect.

Consider the addition of Intake Ventilation and the style to be used would be determined by the existing conditions of your home.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #3

help with roof vents

The one roofer said we should go with the can vents, because that would be following the manufactures recommendations. He said he could put on the ridge vent, but if any thing happen to a shingle(s) we wouldn't be coverred under the manufacture. We don't know what decision to make??
could this be true? we have a 3 bedroom ranch 12-14 sq feet.
chevy71@wowway. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #4

help with roof vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy71@wowway. View Post
The one roofer said we should go with the can vents, because that would be following the manufactures recommendations. He said he could put on the ridge vent, but if any thing happen to a shingle(s) we wouldn't be coverred under the manufacture. We don't know what decision to make??
could this be true? we have a 3 bedroom ranch 12-14 sq feet.
That guy is either a complete Idiot or plain out lying to your face.

The manufacturers actually Prefer Ridge Ventilation over the small aluminum static air vents because of the additional Exhaust Ventilation they provide.

But, they will not imply that you MUST use one over the other.

What they DO STATE, is that you MUST have the correct amount of TOTAL NFVA from you combination of Intake and Exhaust Ventilation Systems.

If you are not able to achieve the proper BALANCED air flow from both the Intake and Exhaust systems, then the amount of the only one being utilized must be doubled.

That guy is so far off base it's ridiculous.

Ed
Old 08-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #5

help with roof vents

By the way, I sincerely hope that your 3 bedroom ranch is larger than 12-14 square feet total.

12 square feet would be 3 ft x 4 ft.

I presume you mean 1,200 to 1,400 square feet or in roofing terms. 12-14 Squares.

Ed
Old 08-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
Residential Roofer

help with roof vents

Shingle manufacturers also sell roof vents on their websites, they all show ridge vents, can vents and power vents and at least two I can think of off the top of my head show twirly birds, I doubt they would advertise the sell of such items if they won't honor roofs in which they are installed on.

Manufacturers will dispute the warranty of the shingles if the vents are not installed properly or in sufficient amount, but the type you choose is up to you and your contractor.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote