Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #1

Share |

Help with Roof Leak

Hi Eveyone,

I've got a pesky roof leak that I would appreciate help/advice with. A bit of background on the roof - It's a gabled roof with a dormer on the front. The roof is entirely new, replaced this August with 30-year Certainteed Landmark shingles and ice and water shield covering the entire roof.

The roof leak appears is coming from where the bottom of the dormer fascia board attaches to the roof (right below the valley). The roofer has been back a couple of times, and last time he tore the valley back above the dormer to ensure this was correctly done. He seemed to think that the fascia board was out of plumb and that water was running along the aluminum drip edge and dripping between the aluminum fascia cover and the board itself. He put tar on this area, and the water drip has subsided greatly but it still manages to start leaking after it rains for a couple of hours.

Today I climbed up into attic above the gable and noticed the following (see attached pictures): The wooden fascia board is tight to the roof decking and the shingles do not extend under the fascia board. The leak location (in the garge below) corresponds directly to the area where the bottom cut of the fascia board intersects the roof, Somehow water is getting behind the aluminum fascia board cover and running alongside the wooden fascia board, at which point it reaches the top of the shingles and leaks down below into the garage.

Is this common practice to have the fascia board tight to the decking, or should it be cut back to allow shingles extend under the fascia board, with flashing against the dormer wall?

This has been real frusturating and the roofer has been back numerous times to try and solve it. It's snowing now, so I may have to deal with the leaky roof untill spring. I may get one last shot to fix it before winter sets in, so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Help with Roof Leak-img00046-2-.jpg   Help with Roof Leak-img00047-1-.jpg   Help with Roof Leak-img00048-1-.jpg  

ak1mking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #2

Help with Roof Leak

Do you have a picture of this from outside of the house?

kevin211mvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Help with Roof Leak

It appears that the step flashing does not continue up onto the valley.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #4

Help with Roof Leak

Thanks for the replys

Kevin211mvd - I don't have a picture from the outside, will try and get one tomorrow.

Buletbob - That's correct, the step flashing does not extend up to the valley. Should the flashing extend under the wooden fascia board also? I aplogize for the bad pictures (hard to get a camera in the tight space), but if you look at where I've marked -water getting in - I can see water pooling right at the bottom of this fascia board, and then (I'm assuming) leaking under the shingle and into the garage below. The last course of shingles that extend all the way to the dormer wall end right under the aluminum sofit cover since the fascia board is tight to the decking (no room to shingle under). If the fascia board was cut back 3/4" or so from the decking and shingled under/flashed all the way to the valley would this be appropriate?

Thanks,
Old 11-10-2008, 01:39 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Help with Roof Leak

Is this common practice to have the fascia board tight to the decking, or should it be cut back to allow shingles extend under the fascia board, with flashing against the dormer wall?-AP1MKING

no that`s crap flashing,the fascia needs to be cut with maybe 3/4" space away from the roof,the shingles should all be flashed along the dormer wall,and the last one should have the tar line even with the top of the fascia,then the valley weave/metal will cover that as well

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:21 AM   #6

Help with Roof Leak

the roofing god-

Thanks for the reply; what you said made perfect sense. If this area was flashed / shingled all the way up, under and to the top of the fascia board, then the valley weave/metal would overlap this. As it is right now this is not the case.

Time to call the roofer back out; Hopefully the weather will break one last time (snowing now) or I'll be stuck with the leak untill spring.

Thanks again
Old 11-11-2008, 03:58 AM   #7

Help with Roof Leak

hope he can handle it,and you don`t need a new one,surprizing he would do it like that in the 1st place

Old 11-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #8

Help with Roof Leak

The exterior photos will help out much more, ratrher than guessing and supplying assumed advice.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #9

Help with Roof Leak

Ed,

Sorry for the lack of exterior pics, I'll be home from work early tommorrow so I can snap one when there is still some daylight left.

Thanks,
Old 11-12-2008, 04:11 AM   #10

Help with Roof Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
The exterior photos will help out much more, ratrher than guessing and supplying assumed advice.

Ed
ASSUMED ADVICE ????The pics and description explained it well enough,it`s a very typical situation I see all the time,and from his description,and pics,the advice was accurate ,not assumed

Old 11-12-2008, 05:41 AM   #11
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Help with Roof Leak

I have to agree with you on this! if there is a leak I'm looking for and don't see anything visibly wrong done on the out side, 95% of the times it could be found from the inside the attic area with out removing any shingles. then you can plan your approach on how to fix it. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #12

Help with Roof Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roofing god View Post
ASSUMED ADVICE ????The pics and description explained it well enough,it`s a very typical situation I see all the time,and from his description,and pics,the advice was accurate ,not assumed
I wasn't insinuating that your diagnosis was incorrect, but would really like to see the exterior to see if there are any obvious flashing problems instead of just seeing the interior shots.

Ed
Old 11-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #13

Help with Roof Leak

Sorry Ed,You`re right ,could be something else as well,but 2 many times have I seen that

Old 11-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #14

Help with Roof Leak

No problem. You usually are right from previous experiences, so more than likely, you already hit the nail on the head.

Ed
Old 11-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #15

Help with Roof Leak

Sorry Guys,

All the help from everyone, and once again I fail to deliver. It's dark in the am, and I got tied up at work couldn't sneak away from work early enought to snap a picture. Hopefully, I'll have one tomorrow. Thanks for being patient.