Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #1

Share |
Cool

Help with Replacing a Roof in Arizona where the AC Unit is mounted on the Roof !

Hi, My parents need their roof replace in Sun City Arizona and I have only done Northeast Roofs. In Arizona their Central A C Unit is on the roof held there on a mounting bracket. I have no idea how to get the old roof off and how to get my Water and Ice paper and new shingles under this very heavy and bulky Roof-Mounted Central Air Conditioner Unit ?
If someone out there can talk me through this step by step or has a sequence of step by step photos from a manual this would help me a great deal because I am going out to Sun City, Arizona on May 29, 2010 to start stripping off the old roof and I have no idea how to deal with this AC Unit mounted on the roof !
If someone out there can help me strip the roof on Saturday afternoon May 29th, 2010 ( after 1:00pm ) and Sunday, May 30th, ( I'll be there in Sun City Arizona May 29 pm until Friday, June 4th) and help me get the Water / Ice paper under the Air C Unit and the new Shingles under there, that would be great. I would pay you under the table for helping me and you would have any equipment you need to help strip the roof with me and to lift / deal with the AC Unit.

Let me know guys,

Adam

Last edited by stevekevin; 05-15-2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added a few words
stevekevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Help with Replacing a Roof in Arizona where the AC Unit is mounted on the Roof !

I would pay you under the table for helping me

Bwahahahahahahaha
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to seeyou For This Useful Post:
MJW (05-15-2010)
Old 05-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Commercial Roofing

What is the big deal? Can you post a pic?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Free inspection within 12 miles
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

just like you put on your pants in the morning...one leg at a time
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #5

If you cannot reach under the AC unit (like it is on legs) to hand him the envelope of cash, then you won't be able to reshingle under it without removing it first.

The good news: The old shingles under the AC unit are probably not in bad condition as they did not get bleached from the sun.

The body of the AC unit can be made into part of the roofing system by lapping up the roofing materials against it and using roofing cement. This won't work if the unit has louvers on top that catch the rain and then let the rain drain down directly under it. Also this won't work if the unit needs air flow under it to operate.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
Fixer-'til-broker

Shingles? in Sun City, AZ? I've only seen flat roofs and trailers out there. If it is a thatched roof, the shingles are probably still good. If you are replacing the roof, why not rubberize instead? Cheaper, easier, cooler, and will protect against leaks better.

I need the money, but I don't think you could pay me enough to drive there.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
Commercial Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYtestdummy View Post
Shingles? in Sun City, AZ? I've only seen flat roofs and trailers out there. If it is a thatched roof, the shingles are probably still good. If you are replacing the roof, why not rubberize instead? Cheaper, easier, cooler, and will protect against leaks better.

I need the money, but I don't think you could pay me enough to drive there.
How would you rubberize a roof, and how do all the other statements apply?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Free inspection within 12 miles
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
Fixer-'til-broker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronB View Post
How would you rubberize a roof, and how do all the other statements apply?
White reflective insulating rubberized roll-on roof coating. Costs only $200-300 to do the whole roof. Do some research. Oh, and I've driven through Sun City and dare NOT stop - ever!

Tags
ac unit on roof, roof worker needed, roofing, roofing problem